Armament Training Wing
Date Raised : 1951-04-01 Disbanded : 1978-04-21 Location : Jamnagar
After Independence, the IAF setup the Armament Training Wing for Air to Ground and Air to Air Armament training. It had an air to ground range at Sarmat and and air to air range in gulf of Kutch near the coastal strip of Jodhya - Balachandi. The ATW had a staff of PAIs (Pilot Attack instructors) who conducted the training. It has no aircrafts of its own except a few Dakotas. The ATW staff was considered the cream the fighter pilots. In 1957-58 a PAI School (Pilot Attack Instructors) was formed to train instructors. A new Air to Air range was bought into Gulf of Arabia. In 1964, a new operational Conversion Units (OCU) was formed with Hunter aircraft. the PAI school was closed in 1975. OCU moved out and TACDE moved in. On 22 April 1978, ATW was converted into a operational wing by the name of 33 Wing.
|1656 F(P)Stn CdrJamnagar||1735 GD(P)Stn CdrJamnagar||1764 GD(P)Stn CdrJamnagar||1639 F(P)Stn CdrJamnagar|| |
|3514 GD(P)Stn CdrJamnagar||2386 GD(P)Stn CdrJamnagar||3100 F(P)Stn CdrJamnagar||3590 F(P)Stn CdrJamnagar||3974 F(P)Stn CdrJamnagar|
|4197 F(P)Stn CdrJamnagar||4494 F(P)Stn CdrJamnagar|