6 Forward Base Support Unit
Date Raised : 1972-08-07 Disbanded : 1979-01-25 Location : Bhuj
The airstrip was constructed by the US Air Force in 1941-42 during World War-II to serve as a transit base between Karachi and Bombay (now _Mumbai). During that period, Dakota aircraft operated frequently from this base. After World War-II, the USAF handed over the airstrip to the then 'Maharao of Kutch'. A private operator, Mr. Kabali, started air services between Mumbai-Jamnagar-Bhuj and Karachi with Dakota aircrafts. In 1947, the airfield was handed over by the Maharao to the Union of India. A civil terminal building came up in 1948 and civil flights continued operations with British Heron and Avro aircraft. The first IAF establishment came into being as 12 Care & Maintenance Units (C & MU) in 1968. 12 C & MU was converted to 6 FBSU on 07 Aug 72. On 26 Jan 79, the base was upgraded to a Wing and this marked the birth of 27 Wg, Air Force. One Sqn of MiG-21 Bis aircraft was also relocated from Pune to Bhuj, thus completing the process of making it a frontline fighter base.
| ||4812 F(P)Stn CdrBhuj|| ||5062 F(P)Stn CdrBhuj|