3 Equipment Depot


Location : Avadi
23 Equipment Depot at Avadi (Chennai) dates back to World War II. Christened in December 1944 as 337 Maintenance Units under the Royal Indian Air Force, it functioned as a Supply Point and a Storage Depot for South-East Asia. It was renamed twice over as No. 3 Equipment Depot in September 1947 and 23 Equipment Depot in March 1966.

Commanding Officers


01 Dec 48 -
Wing Commander
Ram Nath Chawla
1626 EQPT
Stn Cdr
Avadi

Unknown - 30 Sep 56
Wing Commander
Dileep Kumar Sarkar
1634 A&SD
Stn Cdr
Avadi

08 Oct 56 -
Wing Commander
Ram Kumar Behl
1893 A&SD
Stn Cdr
Avadi

Unknown - 09 Jul 58
Wing Commander
Prasanta Chitta Santra
2839 LGS
Stn Cdr
Avadi

06 Jun 60 -
Wing Commander
Protul Tej Sinha
2563 EQPT
Stn Cdr
Avadi

Unknown - 19 May 64
Group Captain
Mahabir Chand
1750 ADM
Stn Cdr
Avadi

20 May 64 - 28 Feb 66
Group Captain
Alexander Joseph Henry Sathyanathan
1643 A&SD
Stn Cdr
Avadi
Unit continued existence as 23 ED

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.