Indian Air Force Signal Units Database

Date Raised : 1947-08-15 Disbanded : 1950-01-25 Location : New Delhi
Air Force Communication Centre (AFCC) was established way back in 1945 with the name, Royal Air Force Signal Centre. On August 15, 1947, as India became independent, it continued to function with the name Royal Indian Air Force (RIAF) Signal Centre to provide voice and data communication to Air HQ at Vayu Bhawan and RK Puram. As India became republic on January 26, 1950 the name of this centre changed as IAF Signal Centre. Later, it was commonly known as Air Force Signal Centre (AFSC) till March 2000. Keeping in view the changed role, it was renamed as Air Force Communication Centre. Toady, AFCC operates from six different locations namely Sena Bhawan, Vayu Bhawan, RK Puram, Ridge, 412 Air Force Station and Transmitting Station, Gurgaon. As per the policy, this centre is responsible for signals and telecommunication fac.... Read More
Date Raised : 1950-05-26 Disbanded : 2000-02-29 Location : New Delhi
Air Force Communication Centre (AFCC) was established way back in 1945 with the name, Royal Air Force Signal Centre. On August 15, 1947, as India became independent, it continued to function with the name Royal Indian Air Force (RIAF) Signal Centre to provide voice and data communication to Air HQ at Vayu Bhawan and RK Puram. As India became republic on January 26, 1950 the name of this centre changed as IAF Signal Centre. Later, it was commonly known as Air Force Signal Centre (AFSC) till March 2000. Keeping in view the changed role, it was renamed as Air Force Communication Centre. Toady, AFCC operates from six different locations namely Sena Bhawan, Vayu Bhawan, RK Puram, Ridge, 412 Air Force Station and Transmitting Station, Gurgaon. As per the policy, this centre is responsible for signals and telecommunication fac.... Read More
Date Raised : 2000-03-01 Location : New Delhi
Air Force Communication Centre (AFCC) was established way back in 1945 with the name, Royal Air Force Signal Centre. On August 15, 1947, as India became independent, it continued to function with the name Royal Indian Air Force (RIAF) Signal Centre to provide voice and data communication to Air HQ at Vayu Bhawan and RK Puram. As India became republic on January 26, 1950 the name of this centre changed as IAF Signal Centre. Later, it was commonly known as Air Force Signal Centre (AFSC) till March 2000. Keeping in view the changed role, it was renamed as Air Force Communication Centre. Toady, AFCC operates from six different locations namely Sena Bhawan, Vayu Bhawan, RK Puram, Ridge, 412 Air Force Station and Transmitting Station, Gurgaon. As per the policy, this centre is responsible for signals and telecommunication fac.... Read More
Location : Basant Nagar
415 AF Station is a combination of the erstwhile three Air Defence Ground Environment System Unitss viz. 810 Signal Units, 705 Signal Units and 730 Signal Units. The roles of the three Unitss were combined and over the years, evolved to its present state. The role and thereby the command and control structure of the Unitss at Air Force Station Basant Nagar underwent many changes through the years. All Unitss were merged in 1999 and the station renamed Master Control Centre Air Force Station Basant Nagar. In Oct 04, the Station was redesignated as 415 Air Force Station. The station forms the controlling centre for the entire Air Defence Ground Environment System terrestrial communication network. The station initially commanded by an AOC is now under command of a Group Captain and function control of ACAS Sigs (Air) at A.... Read More
Date Raised : 2007-03-01 Location : Barnala
Part of the Barnala based 501 SU..... Read More
Date Raised : 2008-11-01 Location : Mothara
Location : Najafgarh
Location : Ambala
Location : Jodhpur
33 SU was declared operational as an air defence direction center (ADDC) for rajasthan sector wef 17apr 76 at Jodhpur. The Unit was in fact the first of the series of static high powered radar stations quipped with THD 1995 radar. 33 SU acquired it is logo of the nocturnal mammal “the bat” in July 1978 and was also given it is present name "scanner" in the same year. Prior to 33 SU, the role was performed by 18 SU as one of the oldest SUs in the country.... Read More
Disbanded : 1966-01-01 Location : Jaffarpore
20 SU was one of the oldest SOC in IAF and was setup in early 1950s in Barrackpore. In 1966 it was renamed as 253 SU. By the 1980s, 253 SU had upgraded to P-40 Radar and was functioning as an ADDC. In 1991, the unit moved to Chandinagar, Jorhat in 1998 and was number plated in 2002. The unit was resurrected on 1 March 2014 at Belgavi..... Read More
Date Raised : 1954-01-01 Disbanded : 1966-01-01 Location : Madh Island
27 SU was commissioned at AF Stn Madh Island which was equipped with composite MARCONI T-13/T-14/T-15 Radar, designated as Sector Operation Centre (SOC) of Bombay Sector. In 1966, 27 SU, AF was disbanded and 252 SU, AF came into existence as ADDC of Bombay sector. The existing MARCONI Radar was replaced with Russian P-30 (M) radar. Subsequently on 14 Apr 87, P-40 Radar was also inducted in 252SU, AF. On 24 Sep 91, the old P- 30(M) Radar was handed over to 250 SU, and 252 SU, AF continued as ADDC with the P-40(M) Radar. On 1 Aug 1992, 252 SU handed over the responsibility of Mumbai sector to 272 SU and moved out to 2 Wing..... Read More
Date Raised : 1964-10-25 Location : Barnala
Raised on 5 Oct 1964 at 9 Wing, AF, the Units shifted to Barnala in May 1965 operating the Star Sapphire radar. Converted to the THD radar in Jan 1981. The Units underwent renaming to 42 Signal Units in Sept 1982, and became to be known as MADBEES - for Master of Air Defence - Barnala. The Units reverted back to 501 SU in Sept 1991..... Read More
Date Raised : 1964-08-26 Location : Arjangarh
Formed on 26 Aug 1964 as the 503 SU under the command of Gp Capt Kanwar Singh. It is based at AFS Arjan Garh. Initially operated the Star Sapphire radar, It requipped to the THD1955 radar in Sept 1985. It was briefly renumbered to 54 SU before reverting back to 503 SU..... Read More
Date Raised : 1964-11-16 Location : Memaura (Lucknow)
505 SU was formed with the Star Sapphire radar in 1964. The Units acquired the THD-1955 and was redesignated as 65 SU on 21 Jan 1988 but reverted to 505 SU on 1 Sep 91.... Read More
507 Signal Unit Santhal Chakshu
Date Raised : 1965-03-29 Location : Singharsi
Air Force station Singharsi is situated in the remote hills of santhal Paraganas in Jharkhand. The only habitation in the region is small hutments of Santhal tribals. This Units was initially formed at Rampurhat on 29 March 1965 and subsequently shifted to Singharsi on 30 October 1967 with star Sapphire Radar which was replaced by THD-1955 Radar in September 1992. The Units had Played a vital role during the 1971 Indo-Pak War and provided round the clock radar cover to our combat aircraft engaged in offensive as well as Air Defence missions. Located in the hills of Singharsi, communication Units was formed in August 1991..... Read More
509 Signal Unit Peak Hawks
Date Raised : 1965-05-07 Location : Laitkor Peak
The Station was formed in 1965 and currently has 794 SU and 42 WEU "A" as lodger Unitss.... Read More
511 Signal Unit Ridge Knights
Date Raised : 1965-05-07 Location : Dinjan
The Dinjan airfiled was constructed during 1942 and had singificant involvement during the WWII effort of the allied effort. Otters from 59 Sqn operated from Dinhan during 1960-67 period and were involved in airlift efforts in the 1962 war. Subsequently, the Sapphire Radar was setup at the station. The THD-1955 was installed and became operational at the base in 1993.... Read More
Date Raised : 1965-12-14 Location : Hakimpet
Formed as ADDC for Jamnagar Sector with the P-30 Radar. In November 1986, P-30 was replaced by the P-33 Radar. Unit relocated to Hakimpet in 1997 and started functioning as ATS radar to provide training flying for FTW. In April 2007 it was redesignated as GCI for 58 SU but soon after w.e.f 15 August 2007 was designated as ADDC for Hyderabad Sector. On 23 March 2015, it converted to the Medium Power Radar (MPR) and the P-33 was phased out. It was also called 364 SU briefly..... Read More
Date Raised : 1965-12-09 Location : Agra
251 SU was established at Agra with the P-30 (M) Radar and has functioned as ADDC for Agra sector since then. Over the years the unit has operated P-30 (M), P-40, TRS-2215, PSM-33 and P-18 Radars. It operates the Medium Powered Radar (MPR) since 10 September 2014.... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-01-01 Location : Tanjavur
27 SU was commissioned at AF Stn Madh Island which was equipped with composite MARCONI T-13/T-14/T-15 Radar, designated as Sector Operation Centre (SOC) of Bombay Sector. In 1966, 27 SU, AF was disbanded and 252 SU, AF came into existence as ADDC of Bombay sector. The existing MARCONI Radar was replaced with Russian P-30 (M) radar. Subsequently on 14 Apr 87, P-40 Radar was also inducted in 252SU, AF. On 24 Sep 91, the old P- 30(M) Radar was handed over to 250 SU, and 252 SU, AF continued as ADDC with the P-40(M) Radar. On 1 Aug 1992, 252 SU handed over the responsibility of Mumbai sector to 272 SU and moved out to 2 Wing..... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-01-01 Location : Barrackpore
20 SU was one of the oldest SOC in IAF and was setup in early 1950s in Barrackpore. In 1966 it was renamed as 253 SU. By the 1980s, 253 SU had upgraded to P-40 Radar and was functioning as an ADDC. In 1991, the unit moved to Chandinagar, Jorhat in 1998 and was number plated in 2002. The unit was resurrected on 1 March 2014 at Belgavi..... Read More
256 Signal Unit Skyguards
Date Raised : 1966-10-15 Location : Jammu
256 Signals Units, Air Force was formed at Ambala on 15 Oct 1966 with P-30(M) radar. The Units was raised with an overall plan to upgrade Air Defence System. The initial task of the Units was to train Technical Officers and airmen on the P-30 (M) radar system. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-01-01 Location : Trivandrum
257 SU was formed at Bagdogra as ADDC with the P-30 (M) Radar. It upgraded to P-40 Radar in 1987. In 1993 it moved from Bagdogra to Amritsar as GCI for 230 SU. The unit was also given two Indra-MKII radars in 2001 and 2006 and moved to Yelahanka In June 2006. In May 2007 the unit moved to Trivandrum. In May 2008, the two Indra radars were given to 340 and 341 TRU respectively and 257 SU was given a P-18 radar from 17 FBSU. .... Read More
230 Signal Unit Vigilants
Date Raised : 1964-04-04 Location : Amritsar Cantt
230 SU Was formed at Chandigarh in March 1964, it was the first radar Units on the P-30(M) Russian radar. It moved to Amritsar soon after and was in the thick of action in the 1965 and 1971 operations as the GCI to 501 SU. A full ADDC role was assigned to it on 01 Oct 1973. The Unit changed over to the PSM-33 in Sept 1984 and the Unit was renamed as 361 SU. . On 21 Feb 1994 the TRS-2215 radar was installed and the Units name 230 SU revived. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1975-01-07 Location : Jodhpur
33 SU was declared operational as an air defence direction center (ADDC) for rajasthan sector wef 17apr 76 at Jodhpur. The Unit was in fact the first of the series of static high powered radar stations quipped with THD 1995 radar. 33 SU acquired it is logo of the nocturnal mammal “the bat” in July 1978 and was also given it is present name "scanner" in the same year. Prior to 33 SU, the role was performed by 18 SU as one of the oldest SUs in the country.... Read More
47 Signal Unit Skycatchers
Date Raised : 1977-01-24 Location : Vadsar
The Skycatchers operate the THD1955 Radar and are located at Vadsar. They were originally raised in 1977. The role of the Units is to function as an ADDC for Gujarat sector under HQ SWAC. .... Read More
361 Signal Unit Vigilants
Date Raised : 1983-01-01 Disbanded : 1994-02-20 Location : Amritsar Cantt
230 SU Was formed at Chandigarh in March 1964, it was the first radar Units on the P-30(M) Russian radar. It moved to Amritsar soon after and was in the thick of action in the 1965 and 1971 operations as the GCI to 501 SU. A full ADDC role was assigned to it on 01 Oct 1973. The Unit changed over to the PSM-33 in Sept 1984 and the Unit was renamed as 361 SU. . On 21 Feb 1994 the TRS-2215 radar was installed and the Units name 230 SU revived. .... Read More
62 Signal Unit Guardians
Date Raised : 1987-11-24 Location : Salua
62 SU is based at Salua, is a small village about 10 kms South West of Kharagpur. The British constructed a Military Air Base in 1941 to support their Burma during World War Il. American and British aeroplanes operated from the base during and after 1942. 62 SU has the THD-1955 Radar and functions as an important ADDC in the Eastern Sector. It is co-locted with a Tropo Unit. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1988-01-21 Disbanded : 1991-08-31 Location : Memaura (Lucknow)
505 SU was formed with the Star Sapphire radar in 1964. The Units acquired the THD-1955 and was redesignated as 65 SU on 21 Jan 1988 but reverted to 505 SU on 1 Sep 91.... Read More
Date Raised : 1989-08-16 Location : Samana (Jamnagar)
77 SU setup in 1989 as one of the first unit operating the THD-1955 radar at a village called Samara, about 55 km from Jamnagar. After extensive trials of the radar, the unit was designated as the ADDC for Saurashtra Sector in June 1991 and has played that role ever since. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1989-06-19 Location : Chimney Hills ( Bengaluru)
In the early 80s the idea of installing a THD-1955 Radar at Chimney Hills, Bangalore germinated in the minds of Air Force authorities, when the need for imparting OJT to trainee officers and airmen of ADGES TI, AF was felt. The task of installing the radar at Chimney Hills was entrusted to RCPO which in turn, formed No. 2 RSIU at Bangalore in 1985. On completion of the project, the Radar was handed over to ADGES TI, AF, and placed under the Administration and functional control of HQ TC, IAF. In Dec 1988, the radar Units was de-linked from ADGES TI, AF and placed directly under the functional control of HQ, TC IAF with the Administration service being provided by AF Station Jalahalli. This Units, which had only a training role up to Jun 90, was converted into a training-cum-operational Units and was placed under the fun.... Read More
272 Signal Unit Marine Scanners
Date Raised : 1992-08-01 Location : Madh Island
27 SU was commissioned at AF Stn Madh Island which was equipped with composite MARCONI T-13/T-14/T-15 Radar, designated as Sector Operation Centre (SOC) of Bombay Sector. In 1966, 27 SU, AF was disbanded and 252 SU, AF came into existence as ADDC of Bombay sector. The existing MARCONI Radar was replaced with Russian P-30 (M) radar. Subsequently on 14 Apr 87, P-40 Radar was also inducted in 252SU, AF. On 24 Sep 91, the old P- 30(M) Radar was handed over to 250 SU, and 252 SU, AF continued as ADDC with the P-40(M) Radar. On 1 Aug 1992, 252 SU handed over the responsibility of Mumbai sector to 272 SU and moved out to 2 Wing. 272 SU was formed in 1990 and became operational with an upgraded Radar on 01 Aug 92. 272 SU assumed the role of Air Defence Direction Centre, Maharashtra sector on 19 Sep 92. The Units has, as aptly,.... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-10-15 Location : Naliya
254 SU was raised on 15 October 1966 at Jodhpur to function as the GCI for 18 SU. It functioned as the ADDC for Jodhpur sector between 1970, when 18 SU was disbanded and April 1976 when 33 SU was formed at Jodhpur. It thereafter has been a GCI to 33 SU till June 1988. It moved to Naliya in June 1988 and became the GCI to 250 SU till June 1991 when its control was moved to 77 SU. The unit was briefly renamed as 368 SU between March 1991 and August 1991..... Read More
Location : Jamnagar
GCI with Type 15 MkV. The unit moved from Jamnagar to Bareilly in November 1962. Runway was still under construction and this unit was the first lodger unit of 15 Wing.... Read More
258 Signal Unit Skyguards
Date Raised : 1967-04-04 Location : Gandhinagar
Nicknamed the "Sky Guards", A mobile radar Units currently operating the P-40(MI) Radar stationed in SWAC. The SU was raised on 4 April 1967 on the P-30M radar at Gorakhpur as GCI for 505 SU. The Units has moved many places - Rampurhat, Bareilly, Bihta, Ahmedabad, Baroda and came to Gandhinagar in Dec 1974. Subsequently moved to 1981 to Baroda, Khambhaliya, Naliya and Trivandrum before coming back to Gandhinagar in 1987.... Read More
Date Raised : 1986-04-01
Formed as a PSM33 Units, providing GCI to 250 SU. Laer renumbered as 250 SU in Nov 1991.... Read More
Date Raised : 1987-08-01 Disbanded : 1991-06-30 Location : Shillong
267 SU was raised at 509 SU as 367 SU with the PSM-33 Radar in August 1987. In July 1991 it moved to Guwahati renumbered as 267 SU to play the GCI role. A year later it moved to Tezpur..... Read More
Date Raised : 1991-03-01 Disbanded : 1991-08-31 Location : Naliya
254 SU was raised on 15 October 1966 at Jodhpur to function as the GCI for 18 SU. It functioned as the ADDC for Jodhpur sector between 1970, when 18 SU was disbanded and April 1976 when 33 SU was formed at Jodhpur. It thereafter has been a GCI to 33 SU till June 1988. It moved to Naliya in June 1988 and became the GCI to 250 SU till June 1991 when its control was moved to 77 SU. The unit was briefly renamed as 368 SU between March 1991 and August 1991..... Read More
Date Raised : 1991-07-01 Location : Tezpur
267 SU was raised at 509 SU as 367 SU with the PSM-33 Radar in August 1987. In July 1991 it moved to Guwahati renumbered as 267 SU to play the GCI role. A year later it moved to Tezpur..... Read More
Location : Jammu
Location : Gandhinagar
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
Location : Bhuj
Location : Jammu
240 Signal Unit Western Pioneers
Location : Yelahanka
260 Signal Unit Stratobats
Location : Patiala
Some or the other SU has operated from Patiala since 1963 before 260 SU was setup in 1981. The Units equipped with P-30 (M) radar was initially formed as a detachment of 8 Wing at Adampur in 1972. The radar moved to jammu for sometime and operated as a detatchment for 23 Wing. The radar detatchment was subsequently designated as 260 SU and was tasked to operate as GCI under the ADDC of 230 SU. The Units moved to its present location at Patiala on 19 may 81 to replace a detatchment of 501 SU. .... Read More
263 Signal Unit Desert Eagles
Date Raised : 1988-05-01 Location : Bikaner
265 Signal Unit Desert Scanners
Location : Bhuttabari
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns (if I remember correctly) were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns (if I remember correctly) were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns (if I remember correctly) were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
In order to augment low level warning, twelve type 3101 sqns (if I remember correctly) were purchased from USSR after 1971 war. (MOFs were not effective during night/bad weather). Each sqn consisted of two radars ie P-12 and P-15. P-12 radar was medium looking while P-15 was low looking. The sqns were primarily meant as early warning with very limited control facilities. The sqn had two Fighter controllers including the OC and one AE(L) officer. Later on, P-12 and P-15 radars were replaced with newer versions of P-18 and P-19 radars. Some of these were also used at BADC`s as local airfield surveillance radars. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1990-03-05
304 Transportable Radar Unit Ran Drishti (Guide to Kill)
Location : Adampur
Location : Srinagar
Location : Jamnagar
Date Raised : 1991-07-15 Location : Maharajpur
310 TRU was formed at 40 Wing. .... Read More
Location : Jammu
Location : Srinagar
Location : Lohegaon
Location : Jodhpur
Location : Tezpur
Location : Ambala
Location : Jammu
Location : Barrackpore
Date Raised : 2008-12-21
aka AFS Mukkunimala, located at 860 feet altitude outside Thirvanthapuram. Originally an Indra II of 257 SU was installed in 2007. It was re-raised as 340 TRU..... Read More
Location : Bakshi Ka Talab
Location : Jodhpur
Location : Ambala
Location : Halwara
Location : Ambala
Date Raised : 1972-05-31 Location : Ambala
Location : Hindon
Location : Basant Nagar
706 Signal Unit Communicators
Date Raised : 1989-07-17 Location : Maharajpur
The Units has been operational since Sep 1991 and is tasked with connecting the base with ADGES network.... Read More
Location : Sirsa
Location : AirHQ
Location : Chandigarh
Location : Agra
Location : Jammu
Location : Srinagar
Location : Basant Nagar
Location : Adampur
Location : Dalhousie
The Air Force Station HQ and SCC are located on top of Motitibba hill in the heart of Dalhousie town at the height of 7300 feet. Dainkund, where the Relay Station is located, is on top of an isolated hill at the height of 9300 feet and at a distance of 16 kms from Mobitibba. Both the sites were surveyed and acquired by RCPO for Air Force during 1971-72. Construction , a challenging task, commenced during 1973. It also included construction of 6km road between Lakarmandi and Dainkund and improvement of of the 10 km stretch between GPO and Lakarmandi..... Read More
Date Raised : 1977-04-01 Location : Mandore
After the cessation of hostilities in 1971, need for a better communication system was felt and thus the path to formation of plan ADGES system came into existence in IAF. 750 SU was conceptualized in the Stage-I1 of Plan ADGES as a "Hub Centre for Rajasthan Sector" in the A DGES Tropo Network. The Units was initially formed as a 'Lodger Units' of 32 Wing, AF in Apr 77. Its installation work at the present location as a Hub with multiple links was undertaken by the Radar & Communication Projects Office (RCPO) in Feb 79. The Units was declared self accounting Units in Jun 95. 750 SU is a hub centre for Rajasthan sector in the communication network. It connects various surveillance elements located in the Rajasthan region, and the adjacent Sub-Control Centres to HQ SWAC and Air HQ. As a Sub-Control Centre, it exercises fu.... Read More
Date Raised : 1977-05-26 Location : Amer (Jaipur)
To provide reliable, secure and uninterrupted communication network in Rajasthan and Gujarat sector, a survey for installation of a communication relay station between Delhi and Jodhpur was carried out by RCPO in the early 1970s. Finally a site on Aravalli hills on the outskirts of Jaipur was chosen for setting up of the relay station. To provide a suitable administrative support to the equipment installation site, the administrative control station was selected close to Jaipur city. The foundation stone of the Units was laid on 12 Nov 74 by Shri Haridev Joshi, the then Chief Minister of Rajasthan. The first commanding officer of the Units took over the command on 26 May 77. However, the Units attained operational status in 1979. The role of the Units is to ensure an effective and uninterrupted communication between De.... Read More
Location : Awantipur
Location : Kalina (Mumbai)
Location : Lohegaon
Location : Jamnagar
Date Raised : 1989-05-18 Location : Madh Island
Houses LOS and SATCOM communication facilities for 272 SU.... Read More
Location : Barrackpore
Date Raised : 1990-03-01 Location : Lonavala
The long and arduous process of selecting a suitable site for establishing a communication link in Maharashtra region started in later half of I982. A hillock situated in the Sahyadri hills located close to INS Shivaji was selected. This station was established in Mar 90. Air Force Station Lonavala is an independent, self-administered and self-accounting Units which provides the crucial communication link in the south of Baroda to the Maharashtra region..... Read More
Location : Bhuj
Date Raised : 1989-06-02 Location : Missamari
Date Raised : 1981-05-04 Location : Bhowali (Nainital)
Location : Shillong
Date Raised : 1990-02-06 Location : Borgad (Nashik)
The formation and establishment of 793 SU was sanctioned by the Ministry of Defence on 26 Jan 89. The mammoth task of installation of equipment’s was done by 65 CSIU and the road construction was undertaken by Border Road Organisation at an elevation of3100 feet from sea level. The Units was declared fully operational on 01 Jan 92. The Units is divided into two pockets, the technical and admin areas, separated by 22 km. The role of the station is to act as relay centre for providing communication facilities to and from the peripheral Unitss and link these to the Command Headquarters. It, therefore, lives up to its motto the "LINKERS"..... Read More
Location : Barrackpore
Location : Kurseong
Kurseong means 'the place of white orchids'. It is situated at an altitude of 1,460 metres above mean sea level, 51 km from Siliguri. Air Force Station Kurseong has been operational since July 1989. The Station is located at an altitude of 7,500 feet. The Units is spread over 73 acres of hilly terrain located on an open hill top. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1974-07-01 Location : Kasauli
805 SU was formed at 3 Wing to collect MT vehicles and other equipment. Advance elements moved to Kasauli on 26 Nov 74 and started provided admin services to 64 CSIU which was formed at Kasauli on 1 Dec 74. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1976-06-01 Location : Basant Nagar
Location : Mount Abu
Located at Mount Abu in Rajasthan, this SU was originally formed in June 1976. A Digital Mobile Radio Relay Units..... Read More
Location : Bamrauli (Allahabad)
Date Raised : 1990-08-20 Location : Missamari
Air Force Station Missamari is located about 100 kilometers away from Rangiya Junction, The runway that was constructed in 1945 by the British at the end of Second World War was used for Air Observation Post Flights during Chinese aggression in 1962. In February 1970, one Signal Units was moved to Missamari as a lodger Units to Air Force Station, Tezpur and became operational in October 1970. However, in 1972 this Units was moved out and subsequently an AOP Flight equipped with Chetak/Cheetah Helicopter started functioning under the administrative control of Air Force Station, Tezpur. In 1989, this Station along with some Unitss were formed under the functional and admin control of HQ EAC. With the Tropo equipment of erstwhile CSIU, it started functioning as a hub centre of Tropo communication. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1989-06-17 Location : Kanheri Hills (Thane)
Location : Barwala (Chandigarh)
Location : Bhuj
Location : SWAC
Location : Agra
901 Signal Unit Nothern Radar
Location : Natha Top
This SU traces its roots to the Route Surveillance Radar installed at Natha Top in J&K in March 1970. Originally operating the ATCR 2D, it was replaced by the ATCR-22 in 1981, followed by a Master T Radar in 24. In 1995 the place was renamed as Nathatop, after the name of Wg Cdr Natha Singh who led the survey aprty in 1966 to help setup the base.... Read More
Location : Dundigal
954 Squadron Tracking Rangers
Date Raised : 1983-03-01 Location : Maharajpur
954 Sqn was formed at AFA with the Thompson CSF Radar. Sqn moved to Gwalior on 2 July 1985 and was numberplated in 2006. In 2012 it was resurrected on SRE ATCR 33S and PAR 2080C Radars. .... Read More
Location : Bidar
Location : Jodhpur
Location : Srinagar
Date Raised : 1992-01-01 Location : Samna
Location : Halwara
Location : Adampur
Location : Chandigarh
Location : Bikaner
Location : Maharajpur
Location : Lohegaon
Location : Jodhpur

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.