Indian Air Force Operational Bases Database

Date Raised : 1948-03-10 Location : Srinagar
IAF Station Jammu, then the advance HQ of No 3 Wing was formed into an independent 01 Operational Wing, RIAF, administered by Air HQ India through No 1 operational Group, Palam on 10 Mar 1948. In the third week of Jul 1950, No 1 Wing moved from Jammu to its present location. The airfield was developed into an IAF base from the old runway that was used by the erstwhile Maharaja Hari Singh for his personal use. Though the base was formally established in 1948 the first AF Dakota landed on 27 Oct 1947 carrying troops of 1 st Sikh Bn to beat back the advancing Pakistani raiders. The old ATC building still remains at this station as a historical relic and a reminder of yesteryears. Since its inception AF Station Srinagar has played a significant role in all the major conflicts..... Read More
Date Raised : 1947-05-21 Location : Lohegaon (Pune)
IAF base Pune goes back to the Second World War when the defence of Bombay city and protection of other areas adjoining the city became very vital. The Air Force base was established at Lohegaon to meet these objectives in 1939 as an RIAF base and since then it has been one of the premier air bases in the country. An RIAF Squadron with Mosquito, Willington and Spitfire aircraft moved to this air base in 1939. Gp Capt R Hamildon, DFC was the last British Station Commander of this base. The first Indian Commanding Officer, Wg Cdr HS Ratnagar took over the base on 21 May 47. This base is one of the few bases from where the most variety of aircraft took to the skies and were inducted into the Indian Air Force. Several newly inducted aircraft have taken to the skies from this base. This base inducted the Tempest (3 Sqn, 1947.... Read More
Date Raised : 1947-11-10 Location : Palam (Delhi)
Date Raised : 1947-08-15 Location : Agra
Date Raised : 1951-08-16 Location : Barrackpore
Air Force Station Barrackpore airfield was one of the foremost Allied air bases to fight the Japanese Forces during WW Il. In 1944, the Air Force Base at Barrackpore was formed into a group called 2 Indian Group. This group was disbanded in early 1950 to form the 357 MU. On March 16, 1950 it was renamed as 310 Station under the operational command of the IAF. On August 16, 1951, this Station was renamed as Air Force Station Barrackpore, 6 Wing. Air Force Station Barackpore is a major service centre of EAC. An Air Force Liaison Cell was set up in April 1959 to monitor overhaul of Dakota aircraft by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. The role of the Units was revised to include technical and logistics liaison for major servicing and repair of Caribou and subsequently the An-32 aircraft. The Units also liaises with HAL for th.... Read More
Date Raised : 1954-08-01 Location : Ambala
Camp Umbala was formed in 1919 and had the No. 99 RAF Sqn placed there. over the next two decades or so, various RAF squadrons were placed off and on at the base including No. 114 RAF Sqn, 28 Sqn and 60 Sqn. Between 1920 and 1922, RAF HQ was also at Ambala, after which it moved to Simla/ Delhi. On 1st Apr 1938, the Station HQ at Ambala was formed and it was formally renamed RAF Station, Ambala on 15 Feb 1941. During the most of 1940s Ambala operated as a training base for IAF/ RIAF with the SFTS and Technical Training Center there. At independence, the station was called Air Force Flying School (India) and was training pilots. On transfer of training to other bases, Ambala was made an operational base of the IAF on 2 Sep 1951 and renamed 307 Wing. On 31 july 1954, this was renamed to 7 Wing..... Read More
Date Raised : 1955-01-21 Location : Halwara
Originally raised as 306 Wing at Palam on 16 March 1950, it moved to Halwara and subsequently renamed to 9 Wing on 29 Jan 1955. Halwara was built on an abandoned forward airstrip and played an active role in both the 1965 and 1971 wars. In recent years, it was home to the last of the MiG-23BN Unitss.... Read More
Date Raised : 1959-09-29 Location : Tezpur
Air Force Station, Tezpur one of the EAC's main fighter base, is located in the lush green valley of Assam on the north bank of the Brahmaputra. The airfield was constructed by the British in 1942-43. But Air Force Station Tezpur, however, was formed much later on September 29, 1959. This Station occupies a strategic position in Assam vis-å-vis Southeast Tibet, Bangladesh, and Myanmar. Over a period of time the Station has been home to a range of frontline fighters. A helicopter Units also operates from this base. Toofanis and Vampires were the first aircraft to fly from this base. Other aircraft like the Hunters and the MiGs later followed to fly from this base. The MiG Operational Flying Training Units or MOFTU was also formed at this Station in the early days. The helicopter Units in Tezpur provides communicat.... Read More
Date Raised : 1961-02-01 Location : Chandigarh
12 Wing was established at Chandigarh on 1 Mar 1961, playing home to the newly raised Nos 42 and 44 Squadrons. Since then it is one of the premier transport bases in the IAF. Over the years, the pride of the IAF's heavy-lift fleet - An 12s, Il-76s, Mi-26s were stationed at 12 Wing..... Read More
Location : Bareilly
A/Cmde Menezes was first AOC.... Read More
Location : Gorakhpur
Setup around 1963.... Read More
Date Raised : 1962-11-07 Location : Pathankot
The saga of Air Force Station Pathankot began with formal sanction of Government of India on 15 Oct 1962. The station came into being on 07 Nov 1962 with tented accommodation and an overlay of PSP sheets for a Runway. Air Force Station Pathankot started its journey as a transport base initially to provide logistic support to Unitss in J&K area. However due to the strategic location of the base the station soon became a fighter base with the deployment of Gnat, Vampire and Mystere fighter aircraft. Soon the subsonic aircraft were replaced by the supersonic MIGs. In Mar 79, the Base was upgraded to Air Officer Command. Today Pathankot is a frontline air base which houses a fighter squadron, the first attack helicopter squadron, a Pechora squadron, a transportable Radar Units and Tropo Unitss..... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-02-21 Location : Borjhar (Guwahati)
Air Force Station Guwahati was formed at Borjhar on the South bank of Brahmaputra river in November 1962 as a sequel to the Chinese aggression. The general terrain of this region is flat and amply forested with wild vegetation and foliage. 33 Sqn with Caribous and a Communication Flight were the first two operational Unitss of Air Force Station. The Challengers - a Helicopter Units was formed in November 1971 with the versatile Mi-8 Helicopter which were subsequently replaced with Mi-17s in 2001. Air Force Station, Guwahati also accommodates a Repair and Salvage Units, a Signal Units, Base Repair Depot, Movement Control Units, Regional Examination Board and an Airmen Selection Centre. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1962-11-29 Location : Bagdogra
Air Force Station Bagdogra, near Siliguri in West Bengal was formed on 29 November 1962, in the wake of the Sino-Indian border conflict. Like Air Force Station Guwahati, this Station was set up to exercise command and control over Fighter Sqns, Helicopter and Transport Unitss. The role of the Station changed in April 1970 when it started exercising administrative control on two Fighter Sqns, one Helicopter Units and two Air Observation Posts. A Survival security support Flight was moved to this Air Base in December 1982. The EAC Communication Flight was merged with this Flight in September 1997. This Flight was tasked to undertake Search and Rescue missions (SAR) during natural Since February 1989, a Signal Units established at this Station has been providing multi-channel communication facilities for Air .... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-08-01 Location : Leh
21 Wing was formed in 1966. his located at an altitude of 10,845 ft and spread over 1019 acres of land and has a runway length is 9,700 ft. The Wing provides Air Traffic Control and safety facilities to transport, helicopters and fighter aircrafts operating to and from this airfield. It also renders enroute navigational facilities to aircrafts and helicopters flying in close proximity to the International Border and Line of Control..... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-01-25 Location : Jammu
Jammu, the winter capital of the state of J & K ensconced between the gentle meanders of the river Tawi and picturesque backdrop of Trikuta hills found itself on the map of the Indian Air Force on 10 Mar 1948. The date was to epitomise birth of a rich operational history in years to come and marked the formation of No 1 Wing, Air Force under the command of legendary wg Cdr MM Engineer, MVC, DFC. The Wing operated from Srinagar in summer and Jammu in winter till end of 1950. There after, it maintained its detachment at Jammu under command of one Flt Lt and few officers. 23 Wg AF was formed here on 25 Jan 63 under the command of Wg Cdr J Andrews..... Read More
Date Raised : 1964-09-08 Disbanded : 1993-02-02 Location : Highgrounds (Chandigarh)
SAM Wing, Formed around 1963-64 and wound up in 1987-88..... Read More
Date Raised : 1964-11-16 Location : Rajokri (Delhi)
Originally established near the capital as the nerve center for missile defence in the National Capital Region. 25 Wing was established to exercise administrative and functional control over six SA-2 Divina Squadrons deployed around New Delhi ( Sqn numbers - 62,63,64,65,66, 67 and 36 as Technical Sqn). The Wing today hosts the Guided Weapons Training Institute operating the Pechoras..... Read More
Date Raised : 1968-05-01 Location : Thane
26 Wing was raised at Thane in May 1968 as a Surface to Air Missile Establishment tasked with protecting Bombay and environs. It operated with 2 Combat and one tech SAGW sqns. The Wing is spread across three pcokets namely main base at Thane , AF Sheva and Karave.... Read More
Date Raised : 1979-01-26 Location : Bhuj
The airstrip was constructed by the US Air Force in 1941-42 during World War-II to serve as a transit base between Karachi and Bombay (now _Mumbai). During that period, Dakota aircraft operated frequently from this base. After World War-II, the USAF handed over the airstrip to the then 'Maharao of Kutch'. A private operator, Mr. Kabali, started air services between Mumbai-Jamnagar-Bhuj and Karachi with Dakota aircrafts. In 1947, the airfield was handed over by the Maharao to the Union of India. A civil terminal building came up in 1948 and civil flights continued operations with British Heron and Avro aircraft. The first IAF establishment came into being as 12 Care & Maintenance Units (C & MU) in 1968. 12 C & MU was converted to 6 FBSU on 07 Aug 72. On 26 Jan 79, the base was upgraded to a Wing and this marked the birth.... Read More
Date Raised : 1971-02-03 Location : Bamrauli (Allahabad)
Date Raised : 2017-01-11 Location : Panagarh
Panagarh Airfield was constructed by the British during the World War Il as part of the allied forces war effort in Eastern India. During 1971 operations this Air Base was extensively used by the Hunter Squadron. After 1971 war, with the creation of Bangladesh and change in political scenario on Eastern borders, Panagarh Air Base was vacated by IAF and handed over to National Airport Authority. However, to safeguard IAF interests, Air Force Station Kalaikunda was tasked to man a detachment at this location and protect the assets. In addition, this airfield is also considered as diversion for aircraft operating from Kalaikunda Base. In 1986, this base was again formally reclaimed from National Airport Authority by the IAF when they were looking for setting a tropo Units in this region as part of ADGES Network in EAC. Con.... Read More
Location : Agra
31 Wing was one of the 5 wings operating the SA-2 Missile squadrons around early 60s and was setup in Agra. The wing was disbanded in the late 80s with G/C SMA Ameer as the last stn cdr. Now Panagarh has been renamed as 31 Wing.... Read More
Date Raised : 1978-04-22 Location : Jamnagar
After Independence, the IAF setup the Armament Training Wing for Air to Ground and Air to Air Armament training. It had an air to ground range at Sarmat and and air to air range in gulf of Kutch near the coastal strip of Jodhya - Balachandi. The ATW had a staff of PAIs (Pilot Attack instructors) who conducted the training. It has no aircrafts of its own except a few Dakotas. The ATW staff was considered the cream the fighter pilots. In 1957-58 a PAI School (Pilot Attack Instructors) was formed to train instructors. A new Air to Air range was bought into Gulf of Arabia. In 1964, a new operational Conversion Units (OCU) was formed with Hunter aircraft. the PAI school was closed in 1975. OCU moved out and TACDE moved in. On 22 April 1978, ATW was converted into a operational wing by the name of 33 Wing..... Read More
Date Raised : 1980-04-30 Location : Bhaisana (Bhatinda)
Air Force Station Bathinda, as it was known then, began its life as 10 FBSU in 1975 as a lodger Units of 12 Wing AF. As early as 1975, trials by fighter aircraft of 108 Squadron were carried out to ascertain the fitness of the airfield for operations. But it took another four years for this transitory base, with a single watch ATC and first line servicing facilities to become a permanent base for fighter operations. Having undergone trials by Unitss from the Air Force and Army, AF Station Bhisiana established itself to be capable of undertaking all AF Tasks. The station grew in strategic importance and was elevated to status Wing on 18 Feb 80..... Read More
Date Raised : 1980-02-18 Location : Suratgarh
The site selected for the airfield was an open area around the village of Karnisar. Work commenced in Aug 1973 with the clearing and levelling of the sand dunes. In the absence of any other local army Unitss, the personnel survived on a diet consisting of canal fish since the construction plans of airfield were a top secret matter. The Commanding Officer had to sleep every night guarding the papers, locked in a box that was chained to his wrist. Thus originated 11 Forward Base Support Units on 27 Oct 1975, which moved to its present location in Jan 1976. The base became operational on 02 May 1976 with 17 Squadron (MiG-21) and 20 Squadron (Hunters) moving in and was converted to 35 Wing on 18 Feb 1980 with the aim to enhance the operational flexibility on the Western Front. Since Oct 1975, the Wing has seen a steady ind.... Read More
Date Raised : 1984-10-09 Location : Vadodara
AFS Baroda came into existence at Makarpura Summer palace on 19 Dec 1963 as No.7 Ground Training School with the role to impart training for the SA-2 systems. 36 Wing was formed on 9 oct 84 as a full fledged SAGW wing to exercise functional and admin control on various Unitss existing ar that time including Tettra and SAGW sqn.... Read More
Date Raised : 1993-09-15 Location : Carnicobar
The IAF commenced operations at Car Nicobar in 1956 with the establishment of a Staging Post essentially for refuelling of aircraft flying logistics support missions from the mainland across the Bay of Bengal. The IAF extended the runway at Car Nicobar to nearly 9, feet in 1967. The first helicopter of the IAF, a Mi-8, was inducted at Car Nicobar in 1982 and was built up to a Flight strength by April 1, 1985. The IAF inducted an Air Defence Units as well. With the increase in the level of forces deployed, the air base was upgraded to a Forward Base Support Units (FBSU) on August 23, 1986. The FBSU was subsequently replaced by No 37 Wing that was established on September 15, 1993 and location was shifted from Car Nicobar to Port Blair. It was fully functional in 2000 under the command of HQ SAC. Subsequently it as moved .... Read More
Date Raised : 2014-11-14 Location : Bakshi-Ka-Talab (Lucknow)
8 C&MU was established at 15 wing (Bareilly) on 22 Oct 63. The Units moved to its present location i.e. Bakshi-Ka-Talab during 1966 under the administrative and functional control of Headquarters Central Air Command. Wg Cdr RK Kukkar was the first Commanding Officer of 8 C&MU and the 11 Sqn COs continued to be stn cdr's till 1974. Initially formed to provide basic facilities at short notice to aircraft as and when required to operate front the airfield. Laterally it was transformed to 38 Wing on 14 Nov 14. 11 Sqn moved in to the station in 1966. They used to operate ferry trips to Car-Nicobar. 21 Sqn moved into this station as 11 Sqn had moved out of this base in 1975. The Sqn was equipped with 'Gnat' aircraft. Air Defence Flight moved into this base in the year 1980. It was equipped with the marut aircraft. The Air De.... Read More
Date Raised : 1985-04-01 Location : Udhampur
The base is sited approximately 5 Km East of Udhampur town spread over 713 acres. A complete hill was blown up to pave the way for its 9000 ft runway, which was taken over on 01 Oct 1975. Even now, the northern end of the runway is guarded by a sentinel in the form of a hill, which permits the landings and take-offs for aircraft only n one direction. It was originally 9 FBSU that was raised on 1 April 1976. It was redisgnated as 39 Wing on 1 April 1985. Lodger Unitss are 153 HU, 132 FAC Flt, 901 SU, 711 SU, NACC and 603 Garud Flt..... Read More
Location : Maharajpur (Gwalior)
G/C PK Mani was frist stn cdr in early 8s. It was 2 BRD prior to this.... Read More
Date Raised : 1984-01-12 Location : Jaisalmer
The imperatives of 1965 war influenced the country to fill the void in the defences in Rajasthan sector and thus came the airfield at Jaisalmer in 1970. Started as No. 14 Care and Maintenance Units. After the 1971 war it was decided to upgrade the airfield and 4 FBSU came into existence on 7 Aug 1972 which was placed under the functional control of 32 Wing, Jodhpur. Initial role was to provide staging facilities to fighter and bomber aircraft. Subsequently in 1979, Armament Training Camp was setup to exploit the Pokhran range in the vicinity. The station was designated to function as provision for flying facilities by day and night for visiting detachments for Air to Ground firing at the Range. 3 AFRU was setup in 1982. The base was reassigned later as 41 Wing Air Force on 12 Jan 1984..... Read More
Date Raised : 1985-10-14 Location : Sulur (Coimbatore)
43 Wing, AF was formed on 17 Jun 85 at AF Station Sulur under the operational and functional control of HQ Southern Command, IAF. Initially, it was carved out of assets transferred from 5 BRD. Assets were divided and out of 1050.51 acres, approximately 850 acres of land was transferred to 43 Wing, AF. The southern peninsula is the major area of operation of 43 Wing, Air Force. The main role of this wing is to carry out couriers to Andaman & Nicobar Islands twice a week. All VVIP/VIP commitments in this region are undertaken by 109 HU. After the formation of an operational wing No. 18 Sqn, which had moved from No. 1 Wing to No. 5 BRD on 01 Apr 85, became a lodger Units of 43 Wing, in Oct 85. The role of this Ajeet Sqn was offensive air support, with emphasis on close air support. All administrative and technical faciliti.... Read More
Location : Sonegaon (Nagpur)
Date Raised : 1989-04-17 Location : Sirsa
Air Force Station Sirsa was established in 1960. Situated on the banks of river Ghaggar, the Station was first designated as 10 C&MU (Care & Maintenance Units) under the command of Flt Lt Patrick, a logistics officer. The first aircraft to land at the airfield was a Dakota' on a runway made of PSP sheets. The concrete runway, PTT and the loops were constructed in 1963.0n 12 Jan 70, the station was redesignated as 5 MEMU (Mobile Echelon Maintenance Units). Two years later in Aug 72, the base was made a Forward Base Support Units and rechristened as 2 Forward Base Supporting Units (FBSU). The FBSU was upgraded in to a full fledged Wing in Apr 89..... Read More
Date Raised : 1989-04-17 Location : Nal (Bikaner)
Air Force Station, Nal has a cherished and eventful history. A kutcha runway was constructed by the end of 1942 and occupied by the British. After the 2nd World War the airfield was vacated by the British and taken over by state PW D. From Sep 1942 till Sep 1950 the royal family of Bikaner operated a flying club at this base. Maharaja Ganga Singhji, Maharaja Sadul Singhji and Maharaja Karni Singhji took keen interest in the formation and development of the airfield. In Sep 1950 the airfield was handed over to IAF and a new runway was constructed in 1963. Nal became a full-fledged airfield and was named No. 9 Care & Maintenance Units (C&MU). In Jul 1972, it was renamed as No. 3 Forward Base Support Units (FBSU). Subsequently, on 17 April 1989 the airfield was named as 46 Wing.... Read More
Date Raised : 1990-03-12 Location : Thanjavur
The airbase was first constructed in 1940 by the Royal Air Force. During the period 1942-45, 36 Sqn, 353 Sqn and 60 Sqn of RAF operated from this airfield with Hudson, Wellington 1C, Hurricane and Thunderbolt aircraft. After independence, the airfield was handed over to the Airports Authority of India and Vayudoot operations were undertaken from this base. With the formation of Southern Air Command in 1984, a permission for 47 Wing at Thannjavur was also provided. The IAF took over the airfield in March 1990. After the IAF took over the airbase, land acquisition started in 2006 for converting it into an Air Force Station. The Base is expected to house a full complement of Su-30s soon.... Read More
Location : Phalodi
Officially inagurated as a Wing in April 2011 at Phalodi in Rajasthan. Operating as a C&MU prior to that with Wg Cdr D Victor as the first stn cdr since 1 July 2006. sep 2010 - first ever fighter dett at Phalodi - done by daggers.... Read More
Date Raised : 2009-08-06 Location : Naliya
Land for an airfield was taken over by IAF on 22 Oct 1973. Intially a C&MU was setup under the command of AFS Jamnagar. The C&MU was upgraded to 12 FBSU on 29 July 1974 and the first stn cdr was Wg Cdr HS ghuman. It was further upgraded to a wing on 6 Aug 2009.... Read More
Date Raised : 1950-03-16 Disbanded : 1955-01-21 Location : Halwara
Originally raised as 306 Wing at Palam on 16 March 1950, it moved to Halwara and subsequently renamed to 9 Wing on 29 Jan 1955. Halwara played an active role in both the 1965 and 1971 wars. In recent years, it was home to the last of the MiG-23BN Unitss.... Read More
Date Raised : 1950-03-16 Disbanded : 1951-08-16 Location : Barrackpore
Air Force Station Barrackpore airfield was one of the foremost Allied air bases to fight the Japanese Forces during WW Il. In 1944, the Air Force Base at Barrackpore was formed into a group called 2 Indian Group. This group was disbanded in early 1950 to form the 357 MU. On March 16, 1950 it was renamed as 310 Station under the operational command of the IAF. On August 16, 1951, this Station was renamed as Air Force Station Barrackpore, 6 Wing. Air Force Station Barackpore is a major service centre of EAC. An Air Force Liaison Cell was set up in April 1959 to monitor overhaul of Dakota aircraft by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. The role of the Units was revised to include technical and logistics liaison for major servicing and repair of Caribou and subsequently the An-32 aircraft. The Units also liaises with HAL for th.... Read More
Date Raised : 1951-09-02 Disbanded : 1954-07-31 Location : Ambala
Camp Umbala was formed in 1919 and had the No. 99 RAF Sqn placed there. over the next two decades or so, various RAF squadrons were placed off and on at the base including No. 114 RAF Sqn, 28 Sqn and 60 Sqn. Between 1920 and 1922, RAF HQ was also at Ambala, after which it moved to Simla/ Delhi. On 1st Apr 1938, the Station HQ at Ambala was formed and it was formally renamed RAF Station, Ambala on 15 Feb 1941. During the most of 1940s Ambala operated as a training base for IAF/ RIAF with the SFTS and Technical Training Center there. At independence, the station was called Air Force Flying School (India) and was training pilots. On transfer of training to other bases, Ambala was made an operational base of the IAF on 2 Sep 1951 and renamed 307 Wing. On 31 july 1954, this was renamed to 7 Wing..... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-03-03 Disbanded : 1989-12-01 Location : Kumbhigram
Kumbhirgram is the serving airfield for Silchar town in the state of Assam, India built by the British in 1944, it is home to an IAF Wing and also hosts the civil airport. The base was home to 7 Sqn during WWII and used for interdiction against Japan. The airport is situated on the foothills of the Barail range. DGCA took charge of the base in 1954 and The IAF established its presence in March 1966, when No. 403 Air Force Station was formed at Kumbhirgram. It was a major helicopter base in the north east, and was home to various Mi-4 Unitss. The major resident Units happened to be No.110 HU. In 1989, 403 Air Force Station was upgraded to 22 Wing, AF..... Read More
Disbanded : 2013-06-16 Location : Bakshi-ka-Talab
Location : Panagarh
Date Raised : 1981-09-07 Location : Cotton Green (Mumbai)
Started as No. 305 Maintenance Units, Royal Air Force in 1945, — holding aircraft spares at Cotton Green — Air Force Station Bombay was re-established as No. 02 Equipment Depot (ED) in 1948, which in turn was redesignated as No. 22 ED, AirForce Station Bombay in 1964. Subsequently, in1967 an element of No. 22 ED was converted into No. 30 ED AF. The evolution took a step ahead on 07 Sep 1981, when No. 30 ED Air Force Station Bombay was bifurcated into two separate entities, 411 Air Force Station Bombay with Headquarters at Cotton Green and No. 30 ED AF with Headquarters at Santacruw. However, this Equipment Depot became a lodger Units of Airforce Station Mumbai on 10 Apr 1997. In 2005, the HQ was moved to Kalina. Lodger units include 121 HF, 765 SU, 30 ED. Also provides admin support to AOC MAO, TEB, AFSC and DLC. Th.... Read More
Date Raised : 1972-08-01 Location : Amritsar
After partition, DGCA took over the control of Amritsar Air Field from the Royal Air Force. Since then Amritsar has been mainly a civil Air Field with the Air Force operating its detachments from time to time. After the Indo-Pak war of 1965, the requirement of establishing an IAF Base at Rajasansi was felt. The need was primarily to have the ability of launching air attacks against strategic targets deep inside the territory of our western adversary and also to launch offensive missions in support of the army. To cater for this, No.4 MEMU (Mobile Echelon Maintenance Units) was established in 1966 at Rajasansi. At that time the runway and other infrastructure was under the DGCA. The base was subsequently re-designated as No. 1 FBSU AF on 01 Aug 1972. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1972-08-07 Disbanded : 1989-04-16 Location : Sirsa
Air Force Station Sirsa was established in 1960. Situated on the banks of river Ghaggar, the Station was first designated as 10 C&MU (Care & Maintenance Units) under the command of Flt Lt Patrick, a logistics officer. The first aircraft to land at the airfield was a Dakota' on a runway made of PSP sheets. The concrete runway, PTT and the loops were constructed in 1963.0n 12 Jan 70, the station was redesignated as 5 MEMU (Mobile Echelon Maintenance Units). Two years later in Aug 72, the base was made a Forward Base Support Units and rechristened as 2 Forward Base Supporting Units (FBSU). The FBSU was upgraded in to a full fledged Wing in Apr 89..... Read More
Date Raised : 1972-06-30 Disbanded : 1989-04-16 Location : Nal
Air Force Station, Nal has a cherished and eventful history. A kutcha runway was constructed by the end of 1942 and occupied by the British. After the 2nd World War the airfield was vacated by the British and taken over by state PW D. From Sep 1942 till Sep 1950 the royal family of Bikaner operated a flying club at this base. Maharaja Ganga Singhji, Maharaja Sadul Singhji and Maharaja Karni Singhji took keen interest in the formation and development of the airfield. In Sep 1950 the airfield was handed over to IAF and a new runway was constructed in 1963. Nal became a full-fledged airfield and was named No. 9 Care & Maintenance Units (C&MU). In Jul 1972, it was renamed as No. 3 Forward Base Support Units (FBSU). Subsequently, on 17 April 1989 the airfield was named as 46 Wing.... Read More
Date Raised : 1972-08-07 Disbanded : 1984-01-11 Location : Jaisalmer
The imperatives of 1965 war influenced the country to fill the void in the defences in Rajasthan sector and thus came the airfield at Jaisalmer in 1970. Started as No. 14 Care and Maintenance Units. After the 1971 war it was decided to upgrade the airfield and 4 FBSU came into existence on 7 Aug 1972 which was placed under the functional control of 32 Wing, Jodhpur. Initial role was to provide staging facilities to fighter and bomber aircraft. Subsequently in 1979, Armament Training Camp was setup to exploit the Pokhran range in the vicinity. The station was designated to function as provision for flying facilities by day and night for visiting detachments for Air to Ground firing at the Range. 3 AFRU was setup in 1982. The base was reassigned later as 41 Wing Air Force on 12 Jan 1984..... Read More
Date Raised : 1972-06-08 Location : Uttarlai
The uttarlai station was setup by RAF in 1935 by acquiring 384 acres of land from the Marwar State. It had an airstrip to facilitate landing of two-seater propeller aircrafts. After independence the airfield was handed over the CPWD and occupied by IAF in 1950. Post the 1965 war it was decided to convert it to a base and a C&MU was formed. It was upgraded to an FBSU on 8 June 1972 and a full fledged AFS on 20 Dec 1993.... Read More
Date Raised : 1972-08-07 Disbanded : 1979-01-25 Location : Bhuj
The airstrip was constructed by the US Air Force in 1941-42 during World War-II to serve as a transit base between Karachi and Bombay (now _Mumbai). During that period, Dakota aircraft operated frequently from this base. After World War-II, the USAF handed over the airstrip to the then 'Maharao of Kutch'. A private operator, Mr. Kabali, started air services between Mumbai-Jamnagar-Bhuj and Karachi with Dakota aircrafts. In 1947, the airfield was handed over by the Maharao to the Union of India. A civil terminal building came up in 1948 and civil flights continued operations with British Heron and Avro aircraft. The first IAF establishment came into being as 12 Care & Maintenance Units (C & MU) in 1968. 12 C & MU was converted to 6 FBSU on 07 Aug 72. On 26 Jan 79, the base was upgraded to a Wing and this marked the birth.... Read More
Date Raised : 1976-01-12 Location : Awantipur
The airfield constrcution started in 1964 as a satellite airfield for Srinagar and was completed in 1996. The airfield was in disuse during the 1971 was but was bombed by the enemy. It was later setup as 8 FBSU in 1976.... Read More
Date Raised : 1976-04-10 Disbanded : 1985-03-31 Location : Udhampur
The base is sited approximately 5 Km East of Udhampur town spread over 713 acres. A complete hill was blown up to pave the way for its 9000 ft runway, which was taken over on 01 Oct 1975. Even now, the northern end of the runway is guarded by a sentinel in the form of a hill, which permits the landings and take-offs for aircraft only n one direction. It was originally 9 FBSU that was raised on 1 April 1976. It was redisgnated as 39 Wing on 1 April 1985. Lodger Unitss are 153 HU, 132 FAC Flt, 901 SU, 711 SU, NACC and 603 Garud Flt..... Read More
Date Raised : 1975-04-01 Disbanded : 1980-04-29 Location : Bhaisana (Bhatinda)
Air Force Station Bathinda, as it was known then, began its life as 10 FBSU in 1975 as a lodger Units of 12 Wing AF. As early as 1975, trials by fighter aircraft of 108 Squadron were carried out to ascertain the fitness of the airfield for operations. But it took another four years for this transitory base, with a single watch ATC and first line servicing facilities to become a permanent base for fighter operations. Having undergone trials by Unitss from the Air Force and Army, AF Station Bhisiana established itself to be capable of undertaking all AF Tasks. The station grew in strategic importance and was elevated to status Wing on 18 Feb 80..... Read More
Date Raised : 1975-10-27 Disbanded : 1980-02-17 Location : Suratgarh
The site selected for the airfield was an open area around the village of Karnisar. Work commenced in Aug 1973 with the clearing and levelling of the sand dunes. In the absence of any other local army Unitss, the personnel survived on a diet consisting of canal fish since the construction plans of airfield were a top secret matter. The Commanding Officer had to sleep every night guarding the papers, locked in a box that was chained to his wrist. Thus originated 11 Forward Base Support Units on 27 Oct 1975, which moved to its present location in Jan 1976. The base became operational on 02 May 1976 with 17 Squadron (MiG-21) and 20 Squadron (Hunters) moving in and was converted to 35 Wing on 18 Feb 1980 with the aim to enhance the operational flexibility on the Western Front. Since Oct 1975, the Wing has seen a steady ind.... Read More
Date Raised : 1974-07-29 Disbanded : 2009-08-05 Location : Naliya
Land for an airfield was taken over by IAF on 22 Oct 1973. Intially a C&MU was setup under the command of AFS Jamnagar. The C&MU was upgraded to 12 FBSU on 29 July 1974 and the first stn cdr was Wg Cdr HS ghuman. It was further upgraded to a wing on 6 Aug 2009.... Read More
Date Raised : 1981-01-01 Location : Purnea
Post the 1962 war, the base was established as a launching base for the siliguri corridor. Once the airfield was constructed in 1963, 5 C&MU was setup under Flt Lt GS Sachdeva. The base remained as 5 C&MU till 1974. In the Indo-Pak conflict of 1971, the airfield was used for secondary diversion during the operations. On 15 July 1973, 257 SU under the command of Wg Cdr SG Manrekar moved in and remained at Purnea till 3 May 1975. Post that a small detachment of 20 Wing looked after the base till end of 1980.14 FBSU was formed on 1 Jan 1981 and was serviced by 20 Wing untill full time personnel were based on the base by June 1981. During the early 1980s some fighter flying was carried out by Gnat / Ajeet aircraft. In 1988 the Station saw active flying of Ajeet MKI, Hunters and Type 77. Once again in October 2003, 2 Sqn .... Read More
Date Raised : 1986-08-23 Disbanded : 1993-09-14 Location : Carnicobar
The IAF commenced operations at Car Nicobar in 1956 with the establishment of a Staging Post essentially for refuelling of aircraft flying logistics support missions from the mainland across the Bay of Bengal. The IAF extended the runway at Car Nicobar to nearly 9, feet in 1967. The first helicopter of the IAF, a Mi-8, was inducted at Car Nicobar in 1982 and was built up to a Flight strength by April 1, 1985. The IAF inducted an Air Defence Units as well. With the increase in the level of forces deployed, the air base was upgraded to a Forward Base Support Units (FBSU) on August 23, 1986. The FBSU was subsequently replaced by No 37 Wing that was established on September 15, 1993 and location was shifted from Car Nicobar to Port Blair. It was fully functional in 2000 under the command of HQ SAC. Subsequently it as moved .... Read More
Date Raised : 1984-07-16 Location : Thiruvananthapuram
The station was setup at Belhaven palace and moved to its current location on 1 jan 2001. it provides operation, adm and maintenance support to all air operations including maritime in the region.... Read More
Location : Bangalore
Shortly after Operation Poomalai, Air Headquarters designated ART as a temporary Forward Base Support Units (FBSU) and called it 18 FBSU(T). For the duration of Operation Pawan, as the Indian Peace Keeping Force operation in Sri Lanka was called, ASTE remained 18 FBSU(T)..... Read More
Date Raised : 1990-12-10 Location : Thoise
19 FBSU, AF was raised on the southern bank of river Shyok, the valley bound by the Saltoro and Ladakh ranges. The elevation o Thoise is 10,066 ft AMSL The genesis of Thoise airfield dates back to 1960 when kuttcha landing strip was made on the initiative of Mr. RD Menon, who was then Asst " "Commandant Slubra. -Approximately-500 men worked daily without wages under the guidance of " "Mohd Hassan, a resident of Bogdung village. Col Rinchin M VC and Bar of 14 J & K Militia and his " "men were also involved in the development of the ALG at Thoise. 19 FBSU was formed at Thoise on " "10 Dec 1990. .... Read More
Date Raised : 2019-05-01 Location : Dinjan
Disbanded : 1972-07-31 Location : Amritsar
Date Raised : 1970-01-12 Disbanded : 1972-08-06 Location : Sirsa
Air Force Station Sirsa was established in 1960. Situated on the banks of river Ghaggar, the Station was first designated as 10 C&MU (Care & Maintenance Units) under the command of Flt Lt Patrick, a logistics officer. The first aircraft to land at the airfield was a Dakota' on a runway made of PSP sheets. The concrete runway, PTT and the loops were constructed in 1963.0n 12 Jan 70, the station was redesignated as 5 MEMU (Mobile Echelon Maintenance Units). Two years later in Aug 72, the base was made a Forward Base Support Units and rechristened as 2 Forward Base Supporting Units (FBSU). The FBSU was upgraded in to a full fledged Wing in Apr 89..... Read More
Location : Vadodara
Location : Dimapur
Date Raised : 1963-01-01 Disbanded : 1974-01-01 Location : Purnea
Post the 1962 war, the base was established as a launching base for the siliguri corridor. Once the airfield was constructed in 1963, 5 C&MU was setup under Flt Lt GS Sachdeva. The base remained as 5 C&MU till 1974. In the Indo-Pak conflict of 1971, the airfield was used for secondary diversion during the operations. On 15 July 1973, 257 SU under the command of Wg Cdr SG Manrekar moved in and remained at Purnea till 3 May 1975. Post that a small detachment of 20 Wing looked after the base till end of 1980.14 FBSU was formed on 1 Jan 1981 and was serviced by 20 Wing untill full time personnel were based on the base by June 1981. During the early 1980s some fighter flying was carried out by Gnat / Ajeet aircraft. In 1988 the Station saw active flying of Ajeet MKI, Hunters and Type 77. Once again in October 2003, 2 Sqn .... Read More
Location : Bihta (Patna)
71 SU is a lodger unit.... Read More
Date Raised : 1964-09-30 Location : Darbhanga
The station was activated by 105 HU in 1997 and Jaguars from 27 sqn also operated a dett in March 1999. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-10-22 Disbanded : 2014-11-13 Location : Bakshi-ka-Talab
8 C&MU was established at 15 wing (Bareilly) on 22 Oct 63. The Units moved to its present location i.e. Bakshi-Ka-Talab during 1966 under the administrative and functional control of Headquarters Central Air Command. Wg Cdr RK Kukkar was the first Commanding Officer of 8 C&MU. Initially formed to provide basic facilities at short notice to aircraft as and when required to operate front the airfield. Laterally it was transformed to 38 Wing on 14 Nov 14. 11 Sqn moved in to the station in 1966. They used to operate ferry trips to Car-Nicobar. 21 Sqn moved into this station as 11 Sqn had moved out of this base in 1975. The Sqn was equipped with 'Gnat' aircraft. Air Defence Flight moved into this base in the year 1980. It was equipped with the marut aircraft. The Air Defence Flight was re-equipped with T-77 aircraft at this.... Read More
Disbanded : 1972-06-30 Location : Nal (Bikaner)
Air Force Station, Nal has a cherished and eventful history. A kutcha runway was constructed by the end of 1942 and occupied by the British. After the 2nd World War the airfield was vacated by the British and taken over by state PW D. From Sep 1942 till Sep 1950 the royal family of Bikaner operated a flying club at this base. Maharaja Ganga Singhji, Maharaja Sadul Singhji and Maharaja Karni Singhji took keen interest in the formation and development of the airfield. In Sep 1950 the airfield was handed over to IAF and a new runway was constructed in 1963. Nal became a full-fledged airfield and was named No. 9 Care & Maintenance Units (C&MU). In Jul 1972, it was renamed as No. 3 Forward Base Support Units (FBSU). Subsequently, on 17 April 1989 the airfield was named as 46 Wing.... Read More
Disbanded : 1970-01-11 Location : Sirsa
Air Force Station Sirsa was established in 1960. Situated on the banks of river Ghaggar, the Station was first designated as 10 C&MU (Care & Maintenance Units) under the command of Flt Lt Patrick, a logistics officer. The first aircraft to land at the airfield was a Dakota' on a runway made of PSP sheets. The concrete runway, PTT and the loops were constructed in 1963.0n 12 Jan 70, the station was redesignated as 5 MEMU (Mobile Echelon Maintenance Units). Two years later in Aug 72, the base was made a Forward Base Support Units and rechristened as 2 Forward Base Supporting Units (FBSU). The FBSU was upgraded in to a full fledged Wing in Apr 89..... Read More
Disbanded : 1969-12-31 Location : Sarsawa (Saharanpur)
The idea of forming an Air Force Station at Sarsawa was conceived during World War II, 1942-1945. Initially an Air-field was developed near Saharanpur city, west of Yamuna canal and by the time Sarsawa Air field came into being, 2nd world war was over and active use of the airfield was abandoned and handed over to civil aviation for VIP movements. It was the Indo-China war in 1962 which once again created the requirement of this air field for active use by defence forces. The repair work started during Sep-Oct 1962 for using this air field as diversionary air field for Ambala and Palam. 11 Care and Maintenance Units came into being in 1964 at Sarsawa. After Indo-Pak conflict 1965, the second phase of expansion was taken up and on 1 Jan 1970 30 Wing came into existence. On 01 Jan 1970, 116 HU was raised here which moved.... Read More
Date Raised : 1968-01-01 Disbanded : 1972-08-06 Location : Bhuj
The airstrip was constructed by the US Air Force in 1941-42 during World War-II to serve as a transit base between Karachi and Bombay (now _Mumbai). During that period, Dakota aircraft operated frequently from this base. After World War-II, the USAF handed over the airstrip to the then 'Maharao of Kutch'. A private operator, Mr. Kabali, started air services between Mumbai-Jamnagar-Bhuj and Karachi with Dakota aircrafts. In 1947, the airfield was handed over by the Maharao to the Union of India. A civil terminal building came up in 1948 and civil flights continued operations with British Heron and Avro aircraft. The first IAF establishment came into being as 12 Care & Maintenance Units (C & MU) in 1968. 12 C & MU was converted to 6 FBSU on 07 Aug 72. On 26 Jan 79, the base was upgraded to a Wing and this marked the birth.... Read More
Disbanded : 1972-08-06 Location : Jaisalmer
The imperatives of 1965 war influenced the country to fill the void in the defences in Rajasthan sector and thus came the airfield at Jaisalmer in 1970. Started as No. 14 Care and Maintenance Units. After the 1971 war it was decided to upgrade the airfield and 4 FBSU came into existence on 7 Aug 1972 which was placed under the functional control of 32 Wing, Jodhpur. Initial role was to provide staging facilities to fighter and bomber aircraft. Subsequently in 1979, Armament Training Camp was setup to exploit the Pokhran range in the vicinity. The station was designated to function as provision for flying facilities by day and night for visiting detachments for Air to Ground firing at the Range. 3 AFRU was setup in 1982. The base was reassigned later as 41 Wing Air Force on 12 Jan 1984..... Read More
Location : Kargil
Disbanded : 1986-08-22 Location : Carnicobar
The IAF commenced operations at Car Nicobar in 1956 with the establishment of a Staging Post essentially for refuelling of aircraft flying logistics support missions from the mainland across the Bay of Bengal. The IAF extended the runway at Car Nicobar to nearly 9, feet in 1967. The first helicopter of the IAF, a Mi-8, was inducted at Car Nicobar in 1982 and was built up to a Flight strength by April 1, 1985. The IAF inducted an Air Defence Units as well. With the increase in the level of forces deployed, the air base was upgraded to a Forward Base Support Units (FBSU) on August 23, 1986. The FBSU was subsequently replaced by No 37 Wing that was established on September 15, 1993.... Read More

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.