Indian Air Force Ground Training Establishments Database

Location : Belgaum
Belgaum camp along with an airstrip was built in the early 1940s. No 672 Squadron of the Royal Air Force was active at Sambra Base during World War II from February 26 to 30, 1945. The squadron was moved to Sambra to use it for airborne operations by South East Asia Command. In 1948, Belgaum base camp was taken over by the Special Reserve Police of Karnataka. In 1961, a detachment landed at this base to carry out specific operations for Goa liberation. Sambra was taken over by IAF when No 1 GTS, located at Jalahalli, was shifted to Sambra in 1963. On 15 Dec 2001, ATI shifted back to Tambaran and the station was renamed as Airmen Training School (ATS). It was reassigned the task of conducting Joint Basic Phase Training (JBPT). The station was renamed as 405 AFS Sambra but continued to be addressed as ATS. ATS now has.... Read More
Date Raised : 1949-06-06 Disbanded : 1955-10-09 Location : Coimbatore
Date Raised : 1955-10-10 Disbanded : 1957-12-23 Location : Coimbatore
Date Raised : 1946-07-11 Disbanded : 1948-08-21 Location : Coimbatore
Date Raised : 1958-05-28 Disbanded : 1959-07-13 Location : Secunderabad
Date Raised : 1967-11-25 Disbanded : 1976-11-11 Location : Secunderabad
Date Raised : 1959-07-14 Disbanded : 1967-11-24 Location : Secunderabad
Location : Sambre (Belgaum)
It was reassigned the task of conducting Joint Basic Phase Training (JBPT). Provides joint Basic Phase Training for all trades of Airmen. It has now been renamed as BTI (Basic training Institute).... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-09-15 Location : Chandinagar
Trains Indian Air Force Gurund Unitss.... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-01-03 Location : Avadi
Setup to provide training in investigation, Vigilance and policing at AFS Mohammedpur. Moved to Hindan in Aug 2004, Belgaum in June 2006, Chandinagar in June 2010 and has been at Avadi since jan 2015.... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-07-28 Location : Rajokri
Guided Weapon Training Institute. located at Makarpura Palace, vadodara, is at present the only institute of its kind in the Indian Air Force. which trains Officers and airmen on Surface to Air guided weapon systems. It was originally formed as No 7 Ground Training School in 1963, to impart specialist training to Officers and Airmen, for operation and maintenance on DIVINA Missile System. In 1976, the Units was christened as No I Guided Weapon Training Institute. The specialist training on DIVINA missile system ceased in 1988. In 1990, the institute began imparting specialist training on operation and maintenance of OSA-AK. Training on operation and maintenance of IGLA system also started two years later in 1992. In 1975, the specialist training on operation and maintenance of Pechora ( SAM Ill) SAGW system .... Read More
Location : Dundigal
In 1974 conduct of ATC courses was formalized and ATCOTE (Air Traffic Control Officers' Training Establishment) was formed at Air Force Station, Hakimpet. Later, in 1977, this establishment moved to Air Force Academy. Initially ATCOTE was tasked to conduct Basic ATC courses for Admin branch and Flying branch officers. Subsequently it was expanded to conduct Advanced ATC courses, GCA courses and Army ATCOs' courses. .... Read More
Location : Kasauli
J&SS is a training establishment imparting training to pilots, flight engineers and flight gunners of the IAF, and trainees from friendly foreign countries. The training is imparted in survival technique, in case they crash land, force land or eject over jungles and snowbound terrain, during peacetime or hostilities. It was initially established at Sonamarg in 1963 and later moved to Dalhousie in April 1994 and to Kasauli in February 2013.... Read More
Location : Jalahalli
Trains Logistics Assistant.... Read More
Location : Sambre (Belgaum)
No 1 GTS, was formed at Jalahalli in July 1947, was shifted to Sambra, Belgaum in 1963. It was renamed as Administrative Training Institute (ATI) in 1980. In 2001 ATI moved to Tambaram but in Dec 2005 ATI was again moved back to Samra. ATI was renamed as Non-Technical Training Institute (NTTI). The role of the Non-Technical Training Institute is to impart modular trade training of non-technical trades. These trades consist of Administrative Assistant, Accounts Assistant and Education Instructors..... Read More
Location : Sambre (Belgaum)
No 1 GTS, was formed at Jalahalli in July 1947, was shifted to Sambra, Belgaum in 1963. It was renamed as Administrative Training Institute (ATI) in 1980. In 2001 ATI moved to Tambaram but in Dec 2005 ATI was again moved back to Samra. ATI was renamed as Non-Technical Training Institute (NTTI). The role of the Non-Technical Training Institute is to impart modular trade training of non-technical trades. These trades consist of Administrative Assistant, Accounts Assistant and Education Instructors..... Read More
Date Raised : 1947-07-01 Location : Sambre (Belgaum)
No 1 GTS, was formed at Jalahalli in July 1947, was shifted to Sambra, Belgaum in 1963. It was renamed as Administrative Training Institute (ATI) in 1980. In 2001 ATI moved to Tambaram but in Dec 2005 ATI was again moved back to Samra. ATI was renamed as Non-Technical Training Institute (NTTI). The role of the Non-Technical Training Institute is to impart modular trade training of non-technical trades. These trades consist of Administrative Assistant, Accounts Assistant and Education Instructors..... Read More
Date Raised : 1949-10-31 Disbanded : 1980-08-14 Location : Jalahalli
Setup in 1949 at Jalahalli and responsible for the "all through" service, educational and technical training of Airmen in all signals and allied branches such as Radar, Armament, Electrical and Instruments. Wg Cdr KA Joseph was the first CO.... Read More
Disbanded : 1967-01-21 Location : Kanpur
Date Raised : 1962-09-05 Disbanded : 1980-08-14 Location : Jalahalli
This institute carne into being at Jalahalli, on 05 Sep 1962 as No 5 Ground Training School with the role to impart elementary as well as advanced training to Electrical and Instrument tradesman of the IAF. On 1 5 Aug 1980 it was renamed as Electrical and Instrument Training Institute (E&ITI). " "Presently, the institute trains airmen of the following trades- Electric Fitter, Instrument Fitter. Plant Maintenance Fitter (Electrical), Photo Technician, Missile fitter (Electrical). In addition the institute also conducts Advanced Stage Trade Training Of Missile fitter (Electrical, Electronics and Mechanical) , in-service conversion training from Photo Tech to Photo fitter. besides Photo Equipment Course for AE (L) Officers. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-12-19 Disbanded : 1964-10-08 Location : Vadodara
AFS Baroda came into existence at Makarpura Summer palace on 19 Dec 1963 as No.7 Ground Training School with the role to impart training for the SA-2 systems. 36 Wing was formed on 9 oct 84 as a full fledged SAGW wing to exercise functional and admin control on various Unitss existing ar that time including Tettra and SAGW sqn.... Read More
Date Raised : 1976-11-01 Disbanded : 1980-07-14 Location : Barrackpore
2206 Sqn was formed in 1976 at Barrackpore as 8 GTS to impart training on SA-3. In 1980 the Units was restrcutured as 2 GWTI. In March 1988 the squdron moved to 25 Wing, Rajokri. It had the task of training all the combat and maintenance crew. In 2003, the training element of 2 GWTI was merged with 1 GWTI. 2206 Sqn was resurrected as standalone operational squadron on 28 July 2003.... Read More
Date Raised : 1970-03-10 Location : Pune
Formed at Air HQ, moved to Jodhpur in 1972 and to Pune in May 1975.... Read More
Location : Pune

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.