Indian Air Force Flying Units Database

Date Raised : 1933-04-01 Location : Maharajpur
Mothballed at independence and reraised in 1953.... Read More
No.2 Squadron Winged Arrows
Date Raised : 1941-04-01 Location : Tezpur
Numnerplated in 1947 and reraised in 1951. Numberplated in 2005 again and reraised in 2009.... Read More
Date Raised : 1941-10-01 Location : Ambala
Date Raised : 1941-02-01
Date Raised : 1948-11-02 Location : Ambala
5 SQN AF, “TUSKERS”, was formed at Kanpur on 2nd November 1948, with B-24 Liberator Aircraft and its role was of a heavy bomber. On 01 Sep 1957, at Agra, the squadron was the first to be re-equipped with Canberra aircraft and the role was re-defined as Bomber/Interdictor squadron. In 1961, the squadron contributed a detachment to ONUC, the United Nations’ multinational force in the Congo where it represented the only long-range attack capability available to the UN. The squadron det conducted successful long-range counter air and counter surface force ops against the rebel airfields and ground forces, destroying a number of rebel aircraft and ground targets. For services in Congo, the squadron personnel won 2 Vr C, 5 VSM and Flt Lt P Gautam won his first medal, VM. In the 1965 war, the squadron raided Sargodha A.... Read More
Date Raised : 1942-12-01 Location : Jamnagar
Stood down in 1947 for conversion to C-47. Reraised in 1951.... Read More
No.7 Squadron Battle Axes
Date Raised : 1942-12-01 Location : Maharajpur
No.8 Squadron Eight Pursoots
Date Raised : 1942-12-01
No.9 Squadron Wolfpack
Date Raised : 1944-01-01 Location : Maharajpur
No.10 Squadron Winged Daggers
Date Raised : 1944-02-20 Disbanded : 2019-03-31 Location : Jodhpur
Numerplated for 3 years in 1964. Converted to Marut as the first squadron on the type in 1967. It was given the type conversion role in August 1975.... Read More
No.11 Squadron Charging Rhinos
Date Raised : 1951-11-15
On 15 Nov 51, 11 Squadron was formed at Barrackpore with a complement of 10 Dakota MK III And MK IV aircraft. The `One-horned Rhino' was chosen as the Squadron emblem when the Squadron moved to Jorhat in Feb 1961. The Squadron's motto was chosen as `Vishwambarah Prandah', meaning `Supporters of the Universe'. The Squadron operated Dakota MK III And MK IV aircraft till Apr 79 when HS-748 aircraft were inducted. A mixed fleet of Dakota And HS-748 aircraft remained in the Squadron till the last Dakota was ferried out on 17 Jul 80. An-32 aircraft were later inducted in Jan 96 at Sulur And HS-748 aircraft were fully replaced by Aug 96. On re-establishment at Baroda in Mar 2000, the Squadron has been re-equipped with HS-748 aircraft. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1945-12-01 Location : Agra
12 Sqn was formed in 1945 on the spitfires but became the first Indian squadron to convert to Transports. It Moved to Agra in August 1947 and has operated Oxfords, Dakotas, packets and An-32 since 1984. The Ops role of the squadron is bombing.... Read More
Date Raised : 1951-08-15 Location : Ambala
On 2 November 48 when the IAF formed its first bomber Squadron. No 5 Squadron crest, the "Tusker" was to be as appropriate to its role and strength as any emblem can envisage. On 1 September 1957 the "Tuskers" became the first IAF Squadron to re-equip on the modern Canberra jet bomber aircraft. on 1 August 1981 the "Tuskers" re-equipped on the Jaguar Strike aircraft..... Read More
No.15 Squadron Flying Lances
Date Raised : 1951-08-20 Location : Halwara
15 Squadron, Air Force was formed on 2 August 1951 at Ambala. The Squadron was equipped with Spitfire MK-XVIII. In 1953, the Squadron was number plated and all the Spit Fires were allotted to the newly formed Air Force Academy. The Squadron was re-formed at Ambala on 26 November 1964, equipped with Folland Gnat aircraft. In April 1969, the Units moved to Bagdogra. In 1975, the Lances, moved to Pune and converted onto the supersonic MiG-21 Bis aircraft. In the year 1981, the Squadron moved to Bhuj. In 1983, the "Flying Lances" were the first MiG-21 Bis squadron in the Air Force to be modified for the Matra Magic R55, air to air missiles. The squadron was again number plated in 2009 and re-raised in 2012 on the Su-30 at Sirsa AFS.... Read More
No.16 Squadron Black Cobras
Location : Lohegaon
16 Squadron was formed in 1950 at Pune with the Spitfire/ Tempest Aircraft as a light bomber squadron of the Western Air Command. The squadron was re-equipped in 1954 with liberator aircraft. In 1957, Canberra bomber aircraft joined the "COBRA" and the role was redefined as Bombing and interdiction. In 1962 the squadron moved to Kalaikunda where it took part in the 1965 war. After the war it moved to Gorakhpur where it was re-equipped with Jaguar aircraft..... Read More
No.17 Squadron Golden Arrows
Date Raised : 1951-10-01
No.18 Squadron Flying Bullets
Date Raised : 1965-04-15 Location : Sulur (Coimbatore)
No.18 Squadron AF was formed at Ambala on 15 Apr 1965 with five Gnat aircraft and eleven pilots. The squadron was christened “FLYING BULLETS” as it was equipped with the Gnat fighter aircraft which was small, lean and deadly.The Sqn crest depicts a bullet with wings, ahead of which is a shockwave indicating supersonic flight. The Sqn motto is “Teevra aur Nirbhay” which translates to “Swift and Fearless”. The Sqn recieved one VM during the operations of 1965, three Mention-in-Dispatches in 1971 along with the only PVC of the Indian Air Force awarded to Fg Offr Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon. In Jan 72 it moved back to Ambala and there after moved to Srinagar once again in Feb 75 where it converted to Ajeets. The squadron remained at Srinagar till Jan 85 and then moved to Sulur and then to Bagdogra in Feb 88 after wh.... Read More
Date Raised : 1960-05-24 Disbanded : 1990-10-25 Location : Sulur (Coimbatore)
19 Squadron was formed in Agra in 1960 with C-119G Packets. For many years 19 Sqn operated in alternate years in J&K. The base was Srinagar in summer and Pathankot in winter. The squadron used to land at Leh, Fukche and Chushul. Also drop at a number of DZs. The squadron did the first landing at Nyoma Rap in 1962. Also the first landing at Daulat Beg Oldi in 1962, using the J-34 Jet Pack. The squadron operated out of Srinagar and Pathankot during the 1962 operations. The squadron crest was approved by the President. The Squadron moved to Agra during the mid-60s but continued to share the Air maintenance role for J&K with 12 sqn. The Squadron was numberplated on 27 July 1977. Later it was revived on 1 Apr 1985 and was equipped with Dakota for aerial seeding and it was based at Delhi with the TTU.On 1 April 1988 it chan.... Read More
No.20 Squadron Lightning
Date Raised : 1956-06-01 Location : Lohegaon
Numberplated in 1998 and reraised in Su-30 in 2002.... Read More
Date Raised : 1965-10-16
21 Squadron, AF was formed on 16 October 1965 at 7 Wing, AF, to be equipped with Gnat Mk I aircraft. The Squadron initially flew aircraft borrowed from 2 Squadron, AF and 18 Squadron, AF, until on 14 May 66, when she got her first complement of ac. Thereafter the Squadron moved to 17 Wing, AF, Gorakhpur until the 1971 operations. The Squadron was visited by DASI in 72 and 75 and the Squadron moved to 7 C&MU at Bakshi Ka Talab and operated there til the time she was earmarked to be re-equipped with the Mig-21 BIS. On 1 December 1976, the Squadron moved out of C&MU to 2 Wing, AF Pune to be re-equipped with the MIG-21 BIS. The Squadron moved out from 33 Wing, AF where it had been located since 1 January 1987, to 12 Wing, AF. Sixteen fighter aircraft were ferried out on May 9-1, 1988..... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-10-15 Disbanded : 2017-12-29
Date Raised : 1956-10-01
Date Raised : 1962-02-16
The Squadron was formed on 16 February 1962 at Air Force Station Chabua, in Assam. It was equipped with Vampire fighter bomber aircraft.... Read More
No.25 Squadron Himalayan Eagles
Date Raised : 1963-03-01 Location : Vadodara
The sqn was raised in 1963 at Chandigarh to support the Army operations in Nothern Sector in the harsh Leh and Ladakh region. Initially formed on 4 An-12s, it added IL-76 in 1989. in 1993 the An-12s were replaced by the An-32s. The sqn moved to the western sector at Vadodara in Sep 2011. Hwoever the Il-76 element remained at 12 wing and merged with 44 Sqn..... Read More
Date Raised : 1968-01-01
No. 26 Sqn, AF was formed under the command of Wg Cdr MM Singh, on 1st of Jan 1968 at Adampur. It was the first Sqn in the IAF to be equipped with the indomitable SU-7 aircraft. Four officers and 35 men caught the Magic Carpet flight out of India on 23 April 1967 & spent their time under training at Loogavaya, Frunze, Alma Ata & Krasnodar. The officer at the head of the batch was Sqn Ldr R Ramamurthy. Until mid 1971, the Sqn was the type training Sqn,which helped in to train, convert & equip other SU-7 Sqns of IAF.... Read More
No.27 Squadron Flaming Arrows
Date Raised : 1957-02-15
Number 27 squadron, the “Flaming Arrows”, was formed at Adampur on 15 Feb 1957. The squadron took part in ‘Operation Vijay’ for the liberation of Goa in 1960 and also took part in the1965 and 1971 Indo-Pak conflicts. The squadron was the first to be deployed at Leh during Op Meghdoot with Hunter aircraft in 1984. It was re-equipped with Jaguars in January 1985 with deep penetration strike and EW roles. It took part in Operation Safed sagar in Kargil sector in Jul 1999. The Sqn was the first to be deployed for Op Parakram on 16 Dec 2001. The Squadron initiated a new era of strategic reach for the IAF by being the first to carry out AAR (air-to-air refuelling) with IL-78 Flight Refueling Aircraft in March 2003..... Read More
No.28 Squadron First Supersonics
Date Raised : 1963-03-23 Location : Jamnagar
No.29 Squadron Scorpions
Date Raised : 1958-03-10 Disbanded : 2020-03-31 Location : Jodhpur
29 Squadron AF was raised at Halwara on 10 Mar 58 equipped with the Toofani. Over 60 years, the Squadron has operated from Kalaikunda, Tezpur, Hindon, and Jamnagar flying the Toofanis, MiG-21 FL, MIG-21 M and MiG-27 ML aircraft. In 1967 it was re-equipped with the Mig-21 FL . Sqn moved to Jodhpur on 23 April 73, redeployed to jamnagar in May 75, moved to Jodhpur in 1997. In May 2007, the Squadron was re-equipped with state-of-the-art MiG-27 UPG aircraft and is currently located at Jodhpur. During the 1971 Indo-Pak war, the Units achieved 04 air to air kills and carried out reconnaissance missions deep inside enemy territory providing valuable and vital intelligence. For its achievements, the Sqn was awarded the coveted Battle Honours for Air Defence by the President of India. The Units was awarded the Units citation fo.... Read More
Date Raised : 1969-11-01 Location : Lohegaon
30 Sqn was formed on 01 Nov 69 at 11 Wg. The squadron's crest comprises of a `RHINO', the name by which the Units is called..... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-09-01 Location : Jodhpur
Formed in Pathankot on September 1, 1963, No 31 squadron was equipped with French Mystere aircraft which it flew till 1973. The squadron then flew indigenous Marut aircraft till 1983 followed by Mig-23 till 2003 after which it was numberplated. It was in dormant stage till January 2009 when it was resurrected at Lohegaon IAF station. it mover to Jodhpur in 2011.... Read More
No.32 Squadron Thunderbirds
Date Raised : 1963-10-15 Location : Jodhpur
No.33 Squadron Himalayan Geese
Date Raised : 1963-01-09 Location : Sulur (Coimbatore)
No. 33 Squadron was initially formed as a unit on 09 Jan 1963 at 19 Wing Air Force at Guwahati with two Caribou aircraft. Subsequently it was re-designated as a squadron in Sep 1963 with 16 Caribou aircraft. Since unit’s formation in Jan 63, 33 Squadron moved to Mohanbari Air Field in Jan 72 and subsequently back to Guwhati Air force base. The Squadron was the sole operator of the type and extensively operated in the Advanced Landing grounds and forward airfields of the North East as well as Northern India. fter more than twenty-seven years of dedicated service under the Eastern Air Command, 33 Squadron left the hills and valleys of the East and migrated to its present location at Sulur in Jun 1991. The squadron was number plated on 31 Jul 1992. The squadron was resurrected on 27 Mar 2000 at Air Force Station Sulur an.... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-08-10
No.37 Squadron Black Panthers
Date Raised : 1957-12-23 Location : Jodhpur
37 Squadron of the Indian Air Force was formed on 23 Dec 57 at Air Force Station Palam with the motto "Forever Fearless", and was alloted the crest BLACK PANTHERS..... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-03-01 Location : Palam
Raised on 01 Mar 1958 at Jodhpur, this Units was equipped with Stol DXE-3 (Otter) aircraft. The sqn is assigned a wide spectrum of tasks like Logistics Air Support, Communication Duties, Casualty Evacuation, Para Dropping, Supply Dropping and Aerial Photography. When the need arose aircraft from the Units were also converted as aerial gunships. During peace it undertook communication duties and rendered valuable assistance to the civil government during natural calamities. The Units has played active role in Goa Liberation, Indo China war and Indo Pak wars. '65 & '71. With the phasing out of Otters in 1984, the squadron became the first Units to induct Dornier aircraft in the IAF Inventory. Avro aircraft joined the squadron in 1996, making it the only IAF Units to have both light and medium transport aircraft on its st.... Read More
Date Raised : 1961-03-07 Disbanded : 1975-04-01
Date Raised : 1958-01-20
The chequered history of the IBEXES dates back to 20 Jan 58 when it was first formed at Barrackpore. The squadron was then equipped with Dakotas fondly nicknamed as the "GOONEY BIRD". The first Commanding Officer was Wg Cdr MK Nerurkar. The squadron chose for its emblem the IBEX, which is undeterred by the jagged rocks, steep cliffs, inhospitable terrain and forbidding shows of the challenging Himalayas..... Read More
No.44 Squadron Mighty Jets
Date Raised : 1961-03-31 Location : Chandigarh
The squadron was formed at Chandigarh on 06 Apr 1961, with the AN-12, which was a 4 engine heavy lift turbo prop aircraft. This versatile ac undertook all kinds of airlift ops in the most inhospitable terrain, both in the North East and J&K sectors. the squadron was later equipped with the stretegic heavy transport ac, the IL-76, in Mar 1985. During the Sino-India conflict in 1962, the squadron took active part in airlifting supplies, arms, ammUnitsion and cas evac in the Ladakh sector. The Indo-Pak conflict of 1965 war the squadron carried out strategic and tactical airlift. In 1971, during the Indo-Pak war, when the squadron was tasked to strike troop concentration at Hajipur, Fort Abbas and Skardu. The squadron became the first tpt sqn to be awarded the Battle Honours. During the IPKF ops in Sri Lanka, the sqn contin.... Read More
No.45 Squadron Flying Daggers
Date Raised : 1960-02-15 Location : Sulur (Coimbatore)
No. 45 Squadron IAF was formed on 15 Feb 1960 with the British built De Havilland Vampire. The Squadron was christened as "Flying Daggers' with its motto being 'Ajeetakshay". The Squadron was the first to draw enemy blood when it took part in the Indo—Pak war of 1965 and was tasked with the first strike mission of the conflict, to be carried out on an armoured column in the Chhamb sector. After the war, the Squadron was re-equipped with the 'Gnat'. The squadron evolved over the rest of the century with the Mig-21 T-77 and went on to be a frontline Mig-21 Bis squadron. The Squadron drew blood again on '10 Aug 1999. when it shot down an intruding Atlantique aircraft of Pakistan Air Force in the Kutch sector. The Squadron was number plated in Dec 2002. On 01 Jul 2016, the ‘Flying Daggers’ became the first Squadron in.... Read More
No.47 Squadron Black Archers
Date Raised : 1959-12-18 Location : Adampur
No. 47 Squadron, Air Force was formed on 18 December 1959 at Halwara as an amalgamation of the best officers & men picked up from various Unitss of the Air Force. The Squadron adopted a kneeling Black and Archer as its Squadron Insignia. With its bow stretrched to perform the task, the Archer signifies ever ready state of the Squadron personnel to perform the task given with utmost efficiency. The squadron was first equipped with Toofani aircraft. In 1961, the Squadron moved to Kalaikunda. In August 1963 the Squadron moved to Bagdogra and also operated a detachment from Gorakhpur.In September 1964, the squadron moved to its new location at Hasimara. On 23 March 1968, the Squadron converted from the ageing Toofanis to the new thundering supersonic Mig 21 Fls. The Squadron also moved out from Hashimara to Chandigarh. In F.... Read More
Date Raised : 1959-11-15 Location : Chandigarh
N0. 48 Sqn, AF was raised on 19 Nov 1959, at Barrackpore and has served in all operational commands of the Indian Air Force. The Sqn has operated Dakotas, Packetts, and AN-32 aircraft. The Dakotas of the Units were the aerial lifeline in NEFA till they were eventually replaced by the Packett aircraft. The squadron was re-equipped with the AN-32 aircraft and moved to its present location, Chandigarh in May 1986. Since then it has formed an aerial bridge for the Indian Forces in J&K sector across the Himalayan Ranges..... Read More
No.49 Squadron Paraspears
Date Raised : 1960-02-02 Location : Tezpur
The sqn was formed in Barrackpore and moved to Jorhat in May 1962. .... Read More
Date Raised : 2008-10-01 Location : Agra
Originally raised as an Auxillary Air Force Squadron, this number was later used for a Missile Squadron and finally for a AWACS. The first AWACS sqn was raised in 2008 but the aircraft arrived in India on 25 May 2009. .... Read More
No.51 Squadron Sword Arms
Date Raised : 1985-02-01 Location : Srinagar
No. 51 Squadron. known as Swordarms was raised at Chandigarh on 01 Feb 1985. The squadron was initially equipped with Mig-21 Type-75 and later converted the MIG-21 Bison Jan 2004. The crest of the Squadron portrays a pair of muscular arms firmly clasping a sword. depicting the motto “Vijyay Prakrarnan” which means 'Valour for Victory' Since its inception. the Squadron has lived up " "to its motto in various exercises. operations and campaigns. Swordarms participated during Op Safed Sagar (Kargil campaign) in 1999 and was conferred with one Vayu Sena Medal and three Mention-in-Dispatches for its effective contribution. During Operation Parakram the Squadron was tasked with the Air Defence Of Kashmir valley. In October 2008 Swordarms created history by undertaking for the first time ever fighter night ops at Udhamp.... Read More
Date Raised : 1986-01-01 Location : Bidar
No. 52 Sqn AF, the youngest Squadron of the Indian Air Force, was formed on 01 Jan 86 at 16 Wing, Hashimara. Wg Cdr GM Viswanathan VM was the first Commanding Officer of "The Sharks" equipped with the T-77 ac. The primary role of the Squadron is Air defence and the secondary role is ground attack. However, during peace time the Squadron is given the additional responsibility of conducting MOFT syllabus of young pilots. The Sharks, during their short span of 12 years have gained appreciation for their professional approach and sound results. The Squadron has the distinction of winning the IF rolling trophy in its very first year of formation and continues to sustain its impressive performance.

The Squadron moved to Bagdogra during Jan 90 under the command of Wg Cdr AD Chibbar where it continued to perform its primary, .... Read More

Date Raised : 1955-11-01 Disbanded : 1963-01-08 Location : New Delhi
Originally given the HT-2 and Harvard, they had Vampure FB Mk52 introduced in 1959. In 1962 the flight moved from Palam to Pune. Subsequently it got absorbed into 220 sqn as the new IAF sqn.... Read More
Date Raised : 1956-10-07 Location : Madras
Location : Allahabad
Disbanded : 1963-01-31 Location : Calcutta
Operated as 55 (Bengal ) Aux Squadron reformed into to 221 Squadron AF.... Read More
Location : Bhubaneshwar
Location : Chandigarh
No.59 Squadron Hornbills
Date Raised : 1960-02-14
No.77 Squadron Veiled Vipers
Date Raised : 2011-02-05 Location : Hindon
No.78 Squadron Valorous MARS
Date Raised : 2002-12-16 Location : Agra
first Flight Refueller Aircraft Sqn.... Read More
No.81 Squadron Sky Lords
Date Raised : 2013-09-01 Location : Hindon
Date Raised : 2016-05-06
Date Raised : 1949-05-01
101 Squadron of the IAF, popularly known as the 'FALCONS OF CHHAMB' was created as a photo reconnaissance flight at Palam on 1 May 1949. Four Harvards, two Spitfires, eight pilots and fifty five airmen formed the nucleus of the Squadron. In 1957, the Squadron converted to Vampire aircraft and shifted its base to Adampur. The Squadron graduated to supersonic era with SU-7 ac in June 1968. The Squadron shifted to AF Base Sirsa on 10 May 1981. As of early 2002, Squadron 101 appeared to have relocated to Adampur Airbase..... Read More
No.102 Squadron Trisonics
Date Raised : 1981-08-25
102 was formed in 1981 at bareilly as the only MiG-25 sqn of the IAF. It functioned till 2006 when the sqn was numberplated. it was resurrected in 2010 on the Su-30 at Chabua.... Read More
Date Raised : 1951-12-01 Disbanded : 1959-12-10 Location : Agra
102 Survey Flight which formed at Barrackpore circa 1951. In 1959 it moved to Agra and amalgamated with 106 SR Units to form 106 SR Squadron. 102 Survey Flt became A Flight and 106 SRU became B Flight..... Read More
Date Raised : 1954-03-10 Disbanded : 1958-04-30 Location : Palam
104 Helicopter Sqn, AF, known as the "Firebirds" was raised as a Helicopter Flight at Palam on 10 March 1954 and became the first Units of the IAF to be equipped with rotary wing aircraft. it was upgraded to a Units on 01 May 1958 and a Squadron on 25 August 1992. The Units changed bases to Hindan in March 1965 and Saharanpur in May 1976. At this point the role of the Units was changed to ATGM (Anti- Tank Guided Missile) Units and all aircraft were modified to carry four AS11B wire command guided missiles. in April 1990 Units shifted to Bhatinda and was re-quipped with the Mi-35. It moved to its current location in may 1994. Since its inception the squadron has operated the Sikorsky S-55, S-62, Bell 47-G, Mi-4, Alouette-III (Chetak) and the Mi-25/35 attack helicopters..... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-05-01 Disbanded : 1992-08-24 Location : Bhatinda
104 Helicopter Sqn, AF, known as the "Firebirds" was raised as a Helicopter Flight at Palam on 10 March 1954 and became the first Units of the IAF to be equipped with rotary wing aircraft. it was upgraded to a Units on 01 May 1958 and a Squadron on 25 August 1992. The Units changed bases to Hindan in March 1965 and Saharanpur in May 1976. At this point the role of the Units was changed to ATGM (Anti- Tank Guided Missile) Units and all aircraft were modified to carry four AS11B wire command guided missiles. in April 1990 Units shifted to Bhatinda and was re-quipped with the Mi-35. It moved to its current location in may 1994. Since its inception the squadron has operated the Sikorsky S-55, S-62, Bell 47-G, Mi-4, Alouette-III (Chetak) and the Mi-25/35 attack helicopters..... Read More
Date Raised : 1992-08-25 Location : Suratgarh
104 Helicopter Sqn, AF, known as the "Firebirds" was raised as a Helicopter Flight at Palam on 10 March 1954 and became the first Units of the IAF to be equipped with rotary wing aircraft. it was upgraded to a Units on 01 May 1958 and a Squadron on 25 August 1992. The Units changed bases to Hindan in March 1965 and Saharanpur in May 1976. At this point the role of the Units was changed to ATGM (Anti- Tank Guided Missile) Units and all aircraft were modified to carry four AS11B wire command guided missiles. in April 1990 Units shifted to Bhatinda and was re-quipped with the Mi-35. It moved to its current location in may 1994. Since its inception the squadron has operated the Sikorsky S-55, S-62, Bell 47-G, Mi-4, Alouette-III (Chetak) and the Mi-25/35 attack helicopters..... Read More
Date Raised : 1957-02-15 Location : Kanpur
105 CTU was raised under 1 BRD Kanpur to train fighter pilots of the Royal Afghan Air Force. F/L Karan Yadav was the first CO and the unit was equipped with one Harvard (IT 282), on spitfire T Mk IX (HS543) and two Spitfire MK XVIIIe. The unit moved to palam for gunnery training over tilpat and then moved back to Kanpur in June 1957 to stand down at the end of the month..... Read More
Date Raised : 1959-11-23
105 Helicopter Units is the second oldest Helicopter Units of the Indian Air Force. The Units formed at Jorhat on 23 November 1959, was equipped with Mi-4 helicopters and moved to Air Force Station Gorakhpur on 3 August 1987. Besides, communication, Logistics and reconnaissance Units also carries out SHBO and VIP task..... Read More
Date Raised : 1957-05-01 Disbanded : 1959-12-10 Location : Agra
106 SR Units was formed in May 1957 with the Photo recce version of the Canberra aircraft. The Role of the squadron was to provide military aerial photography and aid with other civilian applications. On 11 Dec 1959, 106 SR Units was merged with 102 Survey Flight to make 106 SR Squadron. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1959-12-11 Location : Tezpur
106 SR Units was formed in May 1957 with the Photo recce version of the Canberra aircraft based at Agra. The Role of the squadron was to provide military aerial photography and aid with other civilian applications. On 11 Dec 1959, 106 SR Units was merged with 102 Survey Flight to make 106 SR Squadron. The squadron has participated in all wars and earned MVC in all the three wars of 1962, 1965 and 1971. In May 2007 the Squadron phased out the Canberra. it was numberplated in Dec 2013 and reraised in Jan 2014 on te Su-30 aircraft.... Read More
Date Raised : 1960-01-01 Location : Jodhpur
The Units was raised in January 1960 at Srinagar. It was initially established for S-62 and Bell 47 G-3 helicopters. In November 1961 when MI-4 helicopters were inducted into the IAF, this was the first Units received the present fleet of MI-8s on 1 February 1981..... Read More
Date Raised : 1959-11-20 Disbanded : 2017-12-29 Location : Nal
108 Squadron of the Indian Air Force was formed at AF Station Halwara on 20 Nov 1959 equipped with Vampire jets. The Squadron was christened ‘HAWKEYES’. The glory and success of the Squadron have been rising ever since its inception. The Squadron has moved across the length and breadth of the country operating from various bases like Pathankot in north, Belgaum in south, Bhuj in west to Baghdogra in east before finally settling down in its present location Nal.The Squadron crest, which depicts a hawk, a streak of lightning, and a battle axe that symbolises the squadron motto of ‘SHODHAN AUR AAKRAMAN’ which means ‘SEARCH AND STRIKE’. The hawk with its keen eyesight symbolises the search element of the motto whereas the lightning flash and the battle axe epitomise the immediate response and power of the strike.... Read More
Date Raised : 1961-08-26
The Units came into being on August 26, 1961.One Zero Nine was awarded a crest, with a motto 'APATSU MITRAM'. The motto means 'a friend to those in distress'. The Units insignia signifies the embodiment of service on land, sea and in air, with the rotors trisecting the crest depicting the prominence of helicopter in all three areas. The mountains in the background signify the area where helicopters are the only aircraft which can been used in a variety of roles. On 1 April 1967, the Units moved from Chandigarh to Jammu and The Units moved to Sulur on 4 June 1987. It was later re-christened as 'The Knights'..... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-08-10
The Units was raised at Tezpur with MI-4 helicopters on 10 Aug 1963. 110 HU moved in to the station from Tezpur on 08 Sep 69..... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-08-01
The Units of Snow Tigers was on 01 Aug 63, under the Command of Sqn Ldr BS Kalra. The Units was located at Tezpur with MI-4 aircraft, with its main role being casuality evac and tpt support. During this period the Units also had a detachment of two ac for his highness of the King of Nepal. On 03 Feb 1964 the Units was fully operational..... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-08-01 Location : Yelahanka
112 Helicopter Units, popularly known as ‘THOROUGHBREDS’, was raised in Jorhat on 01 Aug 63. It was then equipped with Bell 47G helicopters. The Units moved to Bagdogra in Nov 66 and operated from there till Jul 82 where it operated Chetak hepters. The Units was relocated in Air Force Station, Yelahanka, in Aug 82 and re-equipped with MI-8 helicopters..... Read More
No.114 Helicopter Unit Siachen Pioneers
Date Raised : 1964-04-01
114 Helicopter Units was formed at Leh on 01 Apr 1964 with an establishment of 10 Allouette helicopters. The role of the Units was RTR, ATOM and casualty evacuation. Towards the end of year 1964, the Units HQ was shifted to Jammu from where a detachment operated in Srinagar till 1975 before shifting back to Jammu. Thereafter the Units moved back to Leh in 1987 and has been operating Cheetah helicopters since then. The Units was maintaining a permanent detachment at Thoise for Air Maintenance of Siachen Glacier under OP Meghdoot. This detachment was shifted to Base Camp II on 04 Aug 97 for the same role. The Units has been operational in supporting the Indian Army in OP Meghdoot since April 1984. The continuing operation, on the world's highest and inhospitable Glacier, which has probably been the longest battle ever, is.... Read More
No.115 Helicopter Unit Hovering Angels
Date Raised : 1967-04-01 Location : Tezpur
No. 115 Helicopter Units was formed at Chandigarh on 01 Apr 1967 under the command of Sqn Ldr C Rama Rao (4711) F (P) and was equipped with MI-4 helicopters. The Units was earmarked for operations in Rajasthan sector with its location at then Air Force Flying College, Jodhpur. moved to its present location, 11 Wing, AF on 08 Sept 68. By Dec 67, the Units had received its full complement of aircraft, aircrew and ground personal. The Units then moved to its new location at AFFC, Jodhpur on 16 Jan 68 and was declared fully operational..... Read More
Date Raised : 1967-07-27 Location : Jodhpur
116 Helicopter Units was formed in Sarsawa in August 1967 with Mi-4 Helicopters. Later, the Units has operated Chetak and recently, the Dhruv helicopter . This was also one of the first helicopter Unitss to be equipped with Anti Tank Guided Missiles, thus assuming the name of ‘Tankbusters’ that the Units bears proudly till date..... Read More
No.117 Helicopter Unit Himalayan Dragons
Date Raised : 1971-02-01
Date Raised : 1971-11-22
The Units crest of 118 HU, AF "THE CHALLENGER" consists of three rotor blades superimposed over the mountain on top depicting snow clad mighty Himalayas and water on the bottom depicting the Brahamaputra river in all its glory. The scenario depicts the area of operations of 118 HU since inception (apart from the basic of VVIP/VIP, the Units also carries out Causality Evaluation as and when need arises). The Units has been operating into the far reaches of Himalayas doing Air Logistics in aid of the state government of Arunanchal Pradesh as well as the Indian Army deployed along the IB with neighboring China. Helicopters of the Units has been tasked with flood relief operation for the entire north east and has also undertaken extensive flood relief operations in the other parts of the country and the adjoining country of.... Read More
Date Raised : 1972-03-03
raised on 3 March 1972 at Guwahati.... Read More
Date Raised : 1971-12-01 Location : Nal
120 Ad-hoc Squadron is only a war time establishment. It was activated during 1965 opertaing out Jodhpur with the pilots and Vampire aircraft from C&R School at Jodhpur. The Sqn was awards one VrC and one VSM for its role in 1965. During the 1971 war, it was activated with Mystere aircraft from Target Tow Flight (TTF) and pilots from TTF and 31 Sqn, operating from Nal. The Sqn earned three VrC's for its role in 1971.... Read More
Date Raised : 1971-08-01 Disbanded : 1972-03-01 Location : Halwara/ Srinagar
121 Ad-hoc Squadron is only a war time establishment. During the 1971 war it comprised of 15 Vampire aircraft from C&R School, AEB, ATW and FTW. Nine of these operated from Srinagar and another 6 from Halwara. .... Read More
Location : Jaisalmer
122 Ad-hoc Squadron is only a war time establishment. During the 1971 war, pilots and aircraft from Hunter Operational Training Unit (OTU) at Jamnagar were sent to Jaisalmer to form this unit. The unit did exceptionally well in what later came to be known as battle of Longewala and won many gallantry awards. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1971-12-01 Location : Sirsa
123 Ad-hoc Squadron is only a war time establishment. It is believe it was first activated for operations in Nagaland with use of machine gun and F24 aerial camera for Recce at Tezpur in 1962. The Sqn was activated again during the 1971 war with five T-6G/ Harvard aircraft from from AFA and FIS during the 1971 War. It operated from Sirsa till 6th December 1971 and thereafter at Rajouri ALG. The aircraft were painted Dark Green on surface and black on the underneath. They were rigged with Hunter electric boxes and carried 6 x T-10 rockets and did 13 ops sorties during the war..... Read More
Date Raised : 1973-01-07 Location : Mumbai
121 HF was located at the Air India complex at Kalina and their helicopters were located at Juhu. Sometimes in 1999 when a hanger utilised by AEU( Aircraft Errection Unit) where the Mi 8 and Mi 17 were assembled when they moved to India in crates. Initially they used the crates for making various bays. Later in 2002 the office acommodation came up adjoining the hanger..... Read More
No.122 Helicopter Flight Flying Dolphins
Date Raised : 1981-09-26
The Units was formed on 26 September 1981 at Kalaikunda. The Units was allotted Mi-8 Helicopters in January 1982. The main task of this Units was to carry out search and rescue operations and VIP/VVIP commitments. The Units moved from Kalaikunda to its present location Car Nicobar.No official crest has been allotted to the Units. However the unofficial Units mascot is " The Dolphin". This helpful sea creature belonging to the class Mammillae is quite abundant in the Bay of Bengal adjourning the Andaman and Nicobar group of islands. The Units motto is " AAPATSU MITRAM " meaning a friend in time of trouble as symbolised by the ever helpful Dolphin..... Read More
Date Raised : 2019-02-10 Location : Mohanbari
Chinook.... Read More
Date Raised : 1983-12-31
125(H) Squadron was raised on 01 Nov 1983 at Pathankot with the Mi 25 attack Helicopters. In June 1990, Mi 35 helicopters were inducted into the Squadron and were subsequently upgraded with night fighting capabilities. In 2019, the squadron inducted the Apache AH-64E. Within four years of its inception, the squadron was deployed during “Op Brasstacks”. Subsequently, the gladiators played a very active role in Sri Lanka during “Op Pawan”. As a part of the Indian peace keeping force, the squadron proved its worth as an offensive arm delivering decisive firepower on numerous occasions. During Kargil conflict, the Squadron undertook missions for airfield sanitization against ANEs. The squadron also has the proud privilege of being deployed overseas twice as a part of UN Peace Keeping Missions in Sierra Leone and Dem.... Read More
Date Raised : 1986-05-15 Location : Chandigarh
Christened 'The Feather Weights', 126 HF was raised at Chandigarh on May 15, 1986.... Read More
Date Raised : 1985-06-10
127 HU was raised on 10 Jun 1985 at AF Station Hindan under the command of Wg Cdr FH Major. It was the first Units to be equipped with the latest Mi-17 helicopters and accepted the challenging task of providing communication and logistics support to the outposts in the snow capped Himalayas..... Read More
No.128 Helicopter Unit Siachen Tigers
Date Raised : 1985-12-30
No.129 Helicopter Unit Nubra Warriors
Date Raised : 1987-07-01
the Units was raised at AF Stn Hindan in Jul 1987. The Units was formed under the able command of Gp Capt HS Ahluwalia, VM. In Mar 1991, the command of the Units was revised to Wg Cdr Commanding. The Units when formed was assigned with various op and peace time roles which included Spl Heliborne Ops, VVIP/VIP Communication, Courier flights for HP Govt. and Flypast on ceremonial occasions like Republic Day, Independence Day, Air Force Day etc. "NUBRA WARRIORS" have the exclusive honour of colour trooping the National Flag on all these occasions..... Read More
Date Raised : 1988-02-15 Location : Jammu
130 Helicopter Units - 'THE CONDORS' - was formed on 15 February 1988 at Jammu. The Units was to comprise of 1 MI-17 helicopters of which, the first batch of five helicopters was ferried in from Bombay. The Primary role of the Units since its inception has been of Air Support towards Op Meghdoot. However, in addition, the Units has been called upon to undertake varying tasks viz. SHBO, Flood and Relief & causality evacuation. The Units has been operating a three aircraft detachment Ex Thoise every alternate month since April 1988. It also undertook three aircraft detachment from Base Camp II from March 1988 to September 1988..... Read More
No.131 FAC Flight Airborne Pointers
Date Raised : 1974-08-02 Location : Hindon
131 FAC Flight, one of the firsts of its kind, in terms of role, was established in 1974 at Pathankot. The first Commanding Officer was then Sqn Ldr MS Sekhon Vr C, SC, VM. The Units was established on the Bell-47G-3 and moved to udhampur in Sep 75. The first SAR mission flown by the Units was on 5 jan 75 on Z1085. The Units crest depicting a frontal view of a Cheetah has the Units's name that of Air Borne Pointers inscribed in a semi-circle. The Units's motto that of 'Savage and Powerful' is related to the Units's all important role that of a FAC. By its accurate guidance to fighter aircraft on to the tgt, it assists in the destruction of enemy's Vas and VPs..... Read More
No.132 FAC Flight Hovering Hawks
Date Raised : 1986-02-24
132 Forward Area Control Flight was formed at Udhampur on 24 Feb 1986. The Flight was raised as a result of the overall plan to provide airborne FAC support to the fighter aircraft of the IAF in J&K sector. In Oct 97, 135 FAC Fit was merged with this Flight. Though the nomenclature of Flight is retained, it is a virtual Units with an establishment of 08 Cheetah and 02 Chetak helicopters and 22 pilots. The Flight's Area Of Responsibility includes the entire J&K sector, northern Punjab and western Himachal Pradesh..... Read More
Date Raised : 1986-03-01 Location : Jaisalmer
Raised in March 1986 at 41 Wing AF, Jaisalmer. The Units had no aircraft till June. In July four Cheetah helicopters were ferried from Sulur to Jaisalmer, in the thick of monsoons. It took almost 10 days to reach Jaisalmer. Later two more Cheetahs joined the Units making it a total 6 helicopters. The Op Role was AirBorne FAC duties. The Units flew a number of sorties in conjunction with fighters from Jodhpur. Also fighters of visiting squadrons. The Units was also tasked with SAR, Cas Evac and other tasks from time to time. Initial officers to join the Units were S/L O Ramprasad, Sqn Ldr Pritpal Singh, Fg. Offr VS Bharti, Fg.Offr M.Singh, Fg.Offr R.Sharma, Fg.Offr R. Isser and Flt Lt. OP Bharati ( Engg Offr). In May 1986 Wg. Cgr. G.S.Kahlon was posted as the first commanding officer..... Read More
Date Raised : 1995-07-31 Location : Bhuj
Raised at Bhuj. It moved to Hindon to merge with 131 FAC Flt and was likely merged around 1999.... Read More
Date Raised : 1995-07-31 Disbanded : 1997-09-22 Location : Bhatinda
Raised in Bhatinda with five new Cheetah aircraft. The first to be equipped with GPS. It was subsequently moved to Udhampur and merged into 132 FAC Flt in Oct 1997 at which point they had 10 aircraft all together.... Read More
Date Raised : 2019-10-21 Location : Pathankot
137 (H) Sqn was raised at Pathankot on 21 Oct 2019 and equipped with six AH64E, attack Helicopter.... Read More
Date Raised : 1975-01-01
No.142 SSS Flight Flying Amphibs
Date Raised : 1974-08-01 Location : Hashimara
142 SSS Flt, AF was formed at Jamnagar on 01 Aug 1074 with five MI-4 helicopter. The flight was entrusted with the task to support forward airbase, visual observation posts and Air Land /Air Sea rescue. The basic war time role of the flight is helicopter support in general or as required basis and other special tasks as and when ordered. The flight converted onto Chetak helicopter on 01 Sep 1981 (five) and the Units moved to Kalaikunda on 07 May 1982. The Units again moved to Bagdogra on 06 Dec 1982 and is currently based at Hashimara. EAC Comm Flt was merged with this unit in Sep 1997.... Read More
Date Raised : 1987-01-01
151 HU was raised at Jodhpur on the Mi-17 around 1987. However, in 1992 it was numberplated. It formed in 2003 as the ALH Evaluation Flight to evaluate the ALH. The flight was re-designated as 151 HU and tasked to create the first helicopter display team in the IAF. The Units is named Sarang which in Sanskrit means Peakcock..... Read More
No.152 Helicopter Unit Mighty Armours
Date Raised : 1988-09-14 Location : Sarsawa (Saharanpur)
No.153 Helicopter Unit Daring Dragons
Date Raised : 1988-11-01 Location : Udhampur
No 153 Helicopter Units was raised at Air Force Station, Udhampur on 01 November 1988. Initially equipped with the Mi-17 helicopter, the Units upgraded to the Mi-171V in February 2001 and then on to the Mi-17V5 in January 2014. In the period since its inception, 153 HU has actively participated in Operations Meghdoot, Pawan, Rakshak, Blizzard, Baruab, Sarpvinash, Rahat, to name a few. The Units also took part in Operation Safed Sagar, flying extensively over the forbidding heights of Kargil and Dras. In recognition of its services, 153 HU was awarded the Chief of the Air Staff’s Citation in the year 2007 – one of the first Indian Air Force Unitss to be so awarded. The name and crest of the Daring Dragons draw inspiration from the mythical Ladakhi dragon since Ladakh is the main area of operations of the Units..... Read More
Location : Srinagar
No.156 Helicopter Unit Armoured Kestrels
Date Raised : 2012-01-23
Date Raised : 2012-04-09 Location : Barrackpore
Date Raised : 1976-01-13 Disbanded : 1978-08-04 Location : Hindon
181 Flt was initially formed as 171 Flt at Palam with two HS-748 aircraft. The unit conducts startegic and tactical Electronic Intelligence and Communication Intelligence reconnisance. It currently operates a Boeing 737-200 equipped with Airborne integrated SIGNIT system and HS-748 in COMINT/ COMJAM role..... Read More
Date Raised : 1978-08-05 Location : Hindon
181 Flt was initially formed as 171 Flt at Palam with two HS-748 aircraft. The unit conducts startegic and tactical Electronic Intelligence and Communication Intelligence reconnisance. It currently operates a Boeing 737-200 equipped with Airborne integrated SIGNIT system and HS-748 in COMINT/ COMJAM role..... Read More
Location : Bhatinda
First AEW&C Squadron. Christened the 'Netra', the Airborne Surveillance System is seen to be a game-changer in air warfare. The Netra is designed to control the battle space by detecting enemy aircraft more than 300 kilometres away. Its using the Embraer 145 jets.... Read More
No.220 Squadron Desert Tigers
Date Raised : 1957-12-23 Location : Halwara
220 Squadron, AF was formed at 2 Wing, Air Force Station Pune on 9 jan 63. Initially located at Palam as 51 Auxillary Air Force (AAF) Squadron and equipped with Vampire aircraft. The squadron, later re-equipped with the 'Indigenous HF-24 Marut' in April 1969 and flew the Marut in the 1971 Indo-Pak War. In June 1981, the squadron converted onto the MiG-23BN. Moved to halwara in 1997. numberplated in 25. resurrected on 1 sep 11.... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-02-14 Location : Halwara
221 Sqn came up at the location of 55 AAF Sqn at Barrackpore and was equipped with 4 Vampires a Harvard aircraft. Number plated in 2009, 2017 inducts Su-3.... Read More
No.222 Squadron Tigersharks
Date Raised : 1969-09-15 Location : Thanjavur
222 Squadron was raised at Ambala on 15 Sep 69 with SU-7 aircraft. The Squadron moved to Halwara in Jul 71 and was soon engaged in active combat operations in the 1971 war. The Squadron launched counter air strikes against Risalewala and Chander Airfields with immense success despite stiff enemy opposition. Close Air Support was centered around Dra-Baba-Nanak, Husseinwala and Firozpur sectors. Numerous strikes were launched against enemy armour, gunpositions and troops which virtually paralysed the armour thrust and exposed its weak flanks for the Indian armour. Short term interdiction missions were directed against rolling stock, rail tracks, marshalling yeards, bridges and enemy convoys. In this the Squadron achieved remarkable success. Photo recee missions were launched deep into enemy territory against enemy radars..... Read More
Date Raised : 1982-05-10 Location : Adampur
Date Raised : 1983-06-04 Location : Jamnagar
No. 224 Squadron was raised on July 4, 1983 at AFS Adampur in Punjab with MiG-23 MF. The Squadron became operational with its primary role as Air Defence (AD) and the secondary role as Ground Attack (GA). The ‘Warlords’ moved from Adampur to nearby Halwara, also in Punjab in April ’96 and then to Jamnagar, in Western Gujrat in September ’97. The Squadron was actively involved in providing AD cover over the western sector since its inception till shifting location to Jamnagar, where it continued to do the same. In the latters years, the Squadron was assigned both AD and GA roles in addition to the peace time secondary role of Banner Target Towing (BTT).In their nearly two-and-a-half decades of operations, the ‘Warlords’ have participated in various operations that include ‘Op Meghdoot’ in the air defence .... Read More
Date Raised : 1947-11-01 Location : Palam
Air Headquarters Communication Squadron of the IAF was formed on 01 Nov 1947 and has been based at Air Force Station, Palam since its inception. Originally, called Air Headquarters Communication Squadron (RIAF), it became Air Headquarters Communication Squadron (IAF) on India becoming a Sovereign Republic. The Primary role of the squadron is to convey VVIPs/VIPs of India and visiting foreign heads of states and Governments..... Read More
Disbanded : 1997-09-30 Location : Shillong
EAC Comm Flt was merged with 142 SSS Flt in september 1997. Previously it had Devon and Otter aircraft. After the Otter crash landed it was replaced with the Chetak.... Read More
Date Raised : 1964-06-11 Location : Nagpur
HQ Maintenance Command Communication Flight (MCCF) was formed as a section of SAASO branch of HQ MC, IAF on 11 Jun 64 at Kanpur with AVRO, Devon and Dakota aircrafts. The Units shifted to Nagpur in 1969. The status of an independent Units was granted on 24 Aug 84. The main role of the Units is communication of AOC-in-C and PSOs of HQ MC, IAF. The Units has been called upon to fly in aid to civil power in the event of natural calamities. The Units flew extensively in Op Vijay and Op Parakaram towards mobilisation of manpower and equipment. The Units took active part in the post-tsunami operations in Jan 2005 by assisting the Govt of Maldives with a one-aircraft detachment. Besides its original, the Dakotas and the Devons, the Units has also operated Dornier-228 aircraft. These aircraft were also utilized for training .... Read More
Date Raised : 1985-04-01 Location : Thiruvananthapuram
Location : Gandhinagar
Dakotas- 2 VIP modified & 1 freighter when it was setup.... Read More
Date Raised : 1950-01-26 Location : Yelahanka
The Units took birth in the RAF in 1942. Initially the Units was known as 225 Group Communication Flight, RAF and was located at RAF Stn Yelahanka. In May 1946, the flight moved to HAL airfield ""at Bangalore and was subsequently disbanded. In June 1946, a new Units was formed as No. 2 (Indian) Group Communication Flight. The name was changed on 15 August 1947 to No. 2 (Trg) Group Flight, RIAF. The present name of the Units was given on 26 January 1950. In June 1964, the Units moved back to Yelahanka from Bangalore and has remained there ever since. The Units has been equipped with a variety of aircraft ranging from Havard, Devon, Dakota, Vampire and the present Avro. The Units undertakes VVIP/ VIP communication duties for service and civilian dignitaries. Additionally, the Units has carried out movement of per.... Read More
Date Raised : 1947-08-15 Disbanded : 1950-01-25 Location : Bangalore
The Units took birth in the RAF in 1942. Initially the Units was known as 225 Group Communication Flight, RAF and was located at RAF Stn Yelahanka. In May 1946, the flight moved to HAL airfield ""at Bangalore and was subsequently disbanded. In June 1946, a new Units was formed as No. 2 (Indian) Group Communication Flight. The name was changed on 15 August 1947 to No. 2 (Trg) Group Flight, RIAF. The present name of the Units was given on 26 January 1950. In June 1964, the Units moved back to Yelahanka from Bangalore and has remained there ever since. The Units has been equipped with a variety of aircraft ranging from Havard, Devon, Dakota, Vampire and the present Avro. The Units undertakes VVIP/ VIP communication duties for service and civilian dignitaries. Additionally, the Units has carried out movement of per.... Read More
Date Raised : 1996-06-01 Location : Bidar
Date Raised : 2000-11-27
The first ever UAV squadron in the IAF, it was formed as No.34 Squadron on 27 Nov 2000 at Bhatinda, it was renamed to 3001 Squadron in December 2003..... Read More
No.3002 Squadron Cat's Eyes
Location : Jammu
Date Raised : 2004-09-20
3004 Sqn was formed on the 20 Sep 2004 at Nalia with the designated task of carrying out intelligence through surveillance and Reconnaissance within the Kutch sector. In the course of its duties the squadron has been a source of real time imagery and intelligence of incursions into the Indian Territory which has been instrumental in countering and checking infiltrations. The sqn has assisted the Indian Army, Navy, Coast Guard and BSF in various missions. The squadron has also successfully flown a single continuous mission of 34 hours duration, a record with no parallel till date..... Read More

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.