Indian Air Force Flying Training Establishments Database

Date Raised : 1947-08-16 Disbanded : 1949-08-11 Location : Ambala
Date Raised : 1955-08-01 Disbanded : 1956-12-31 Location : Hyderabad
Date Raised : 1947-09-01 Disbanded : 1949-08-11 Location : Jodhpur
Date Raised : 1957-01-01 Disbanded : 1970-03-07 Location : Jodhpur
Date Raised : 1962-09-17 Disbanded : 1966-11-06 Location : Bamrauli (Allahabad)
Bidar airfield was built by the Nizam of Hyderabad during the unsettled conditions of 1943 -1947. It remained in disuse till activated by the Air Force with the location of No 2 Jet Training Wing in 1963. This was disbanded in 1965 and the airfield remained inactive till 1966. The Elementary Flying School, i.e. EFS was located at Bidar thereafter. This FTE was formed at Allahabad in 1963 to cater for the increased induction of pilots under the expansion programme of Air Force. While at Allahabad this FTE was known as Pilots Training establishment and was providing ab-initio training on HT-2 aircraft. In 1966, the establishment, after relocation at Bidar was renamed Elementary Flying School (EFS). However, the training pattern remained unchanged. In 1983, the role of EFS changed with the introduction of "All Through Jet .... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-11-07 Disbanded : 1983-09-29 Location : Bidar
Bidar airfield was built by the Nizam of Hyderabad during the unsettled conditions of 1943 -1947. It remained in disuse till activated by the Air Force with the location of No 2 Jet Training Wing in 1963. This was disbanded in 1965 and the airfield remained inactive till 1966. The Elementary Flying School, i.e. EFS was located at Bidar thereafter. This FTE was formed at Allahabad in 1963 to cater for the increased induction of pilots under the expansion programme of Air Force. While at Allahabad this FTE was known as Pilots Training establishment and was providing ab-initio training on HT-2 aircraft. In 1966, the establishment, after relocation at Bidar was renamed Elementary Flying School (EFS). However, the training pattern remained unchanged. In 1983, the role of EFS changed with the introduction of "All Through Jet .... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-06-20 Disbanded : 1968-01-03 Location : Begumpet
Initially formed as a conversion and training squadron at Agra in 1948, the Units moved over to Begumpet in 1957 and was renamed as Transport Training Wing (TTW). In 1963 after the Sino -Indian conflict, the necessity for expanding training on transport aircraft became imperative. To facilitate this requirement; existing TTW was retained at Begumpet and No.2 TTW was established at Yelahanka, a suburb of Bangalore. Here, an airfield of world war II vintage was already in existence. This deserted airfield was recommissioned after necessary repairs on August I, 1963 and began functioning under the command of Gp Capt PL Dhawan. On January 1, 1968 both the TTW s were merged to form a single TTW at Yelahanka. Later, TTWs was renamed as Air Force Station, Yelahanka..... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-08-01 Disbanded : 1967-12-31 Location : Yelahanka
Initially formed as a conversion and training squadron at Agra in 1948, the Units moved over to Begumpet in 1957 and was renamed as Transport Training Wing (TTW). In 1963 after the Sino -Indian conflict, the necessity for expanding training on transport aircraft became imperative. To facilitate this requirement; existing TTW was retained at Begumpet and No.2 TTW was established at Yelahanka, a suburb of Bangalore. Here, an airfield of world war II vintage was already in existence. This deserted airfield was recommissioned after necessary repairs on August I, 1963 and began functioning under the command of Gp Capt PL Dhawan. On January 1, 1968 both the TTW s were merged to form a single TTW at Yelahanka. Later, TTWs was renamed as Air Force Station, Yelahanka..... Read More
Date Raised : 1984-12-17 Location : Yelahanka
Date Raised : 1951-08-03 Disbanded : 1958-07-24 Location : Hakimpet
Hakimpet was first revived as a training airfield in the Autumn of 1951 with the establishment of the Conversion Training Units (CTU). The CTU operated Spitfire T Mk IX s , Spitfire XVIIIs and Tempest IIs to impart fighter conversion training to newly commissioned pilots of the IAF (Starting with the 55th Pilots Course (PC)). CTU was re-designated as Jet Training Wing (JTW) in 1958 with the phasing out of all Piston engine fighters in the IAF. A second JTW was set up in Bidar after the Indo-China border conflict and both JTWs at Hakimpet and Bidar were redesignated as No.1 JTW and No.2 JTW respectively. But by 1968, Jet training was again bought under the sole purview of Hakimpet and both JTWs were merged together to form the 'Fighter Training Wing' (FTW). In July 1975 12 Kiran aircraft arrived at the station and these .... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-07-25 Disbanded : 1963-06-23 Location : Hakimpet
Hakimpet was first revived as a training airfield in the Autumn of 1951 with the establishment of the Conversion Training Units (CTU). The CTU operated Spitfire T Mk IX s , Spitfire XVIIIs and Tempest IIs to impart fighter conversion training to newly commissioned pilots of the IAF (Starting with the 55th Pilots Course (PC)). CTU was re-designated as Jet Training Wing (JTW) in 1958 with the phasing out of all Piston engine fighters in the IAF. A second JTW was set up in Bidar after the Indo-China border conflict and both JTWs at Hakimpet and Bidar were redesignated as No.1 JTW and No.2 JTW respectively. But by 1968, Jet training was again bought under the sole purview of Hakimpet and both JTWs were merged together to form the 'Fighter Training Wing' (FTW). In July 1975 12 Kiran aircraft arrived at the station and these .... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-06-24 Disbanded : 1968-01-14 Location : Hakimpet
Hakimpet was first revived as a training airfield in the Autumn of 1951 with the establishment of the Conversion Training Units (CTU). The CTU operated Spitfire T Mk IX s , Spitfire XVIIIs and Tempest IIs to impart fighter conversion training to newly commissioned pilots of the IAF (Starting with the 55th Pilots Course (PC)). CTU was re-designated as Jet Training Wing (JTW) in 1958 with the phasing out of all Piston engine fighters in the IAF. A second JTW was set up in Bidar after the Indo-China border conflict and both JTWs at Hakimpet and Bidar were redesignated as No.1 JTW and No.2 JTW respectively. But by 1968, Jet training was again bought under the sole purview of Hakimpet and both JTWs were merged together to form the 'Fighter Training Wing' (FTW). In July 1975 12 Kiran aircraft arrived at the station and these .... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-05-01 Disbanded : 1965-12-31 Location : Bidar
Date Raised : 1951-04-01 Disbanded : 1978-04-21 Location : Jamnagar
After Independence, the IAF setup the Armament Training Wing for Air to Ground and Air to Air Armament training. It had an air to ground range at Sarmat and and air to air range in gulf of Kutch near the coastal strip of Jodhya - Balachandi. The ATW had a staff of PAIs (Pilot Attack instructors) who conducted the training. It has no aircrafts of its own except a few Dakotas. The ATW staff was considered the cream the fighter pilots. In 1957-58 a PAI School (Pilot Attack Instructors) was formed to train instructors. A new Air to Air range was bought into Gulf of Arabia. In 1964, a new operational Conversion Units (OCU) was formed with Hunter aircraft. the PAI school was closed in 1975. OCU moved out and TACDE moved in. On 22 April 1978, ATW was converted into a operational wing by the name of 33 Wing..... Read More
Date Raised : 1968-01-04 Location : Secunderabad
Date Raised : 1967-09-01 Location : Suryalanka
Suryalanka means the "island of the Surya" and was formed as IAF's Missile firing range. It was initially formed as a C&MU and became a station in July 1969 which housed the 259 SU with a P-30 Radar. The role was enhanced to provide facilities for firing GW for Army and Air Force. In Dec 1975 the first station commander took over on being made a permanent establishment. While earlier under the command of CAC, it moved to SAC when SAC was formed in 1984. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1992-06-15 Disbanded : 1997-07-31 Location : Agra
In May 1969, 1 TTF ( Cochin) and 2 TTF (Palam) were raised to support target towing for the Air Defence elements of Navy/ Army respectively. In June 1985, both Unitss were equipped with Canberra B(I)58. Units were relocated to Pune( 1 TTU) and Agra (2 TTU) in November 1987 At this point the roles of supporting Navy/ Army was changed to Banner Towing for Air-to-Air needs for the IAF. Sometime between 1969 and 1987, the Army/Navy support role had been passed on to a flight from 6 Sqn with the specially modified variant of the Canerra - TT418 with the pylon mounted Rushton winch and target. On 15th June 1992, a Unitsed TTU was raised at Agra by merging 1 TTU, 2 TTU and TT flight from 6 Sqn. With the merger, the Units took on the Banner, Sleeve and Rustom Target Towing for all three services. Banner Towing ceased on 31st Ma.... Read More
Date Raised : 1969-05-01 Disbanded : 1992-06-14 Location : Pune
In May 1969, 1 TTF ( Cochin) and 2 TTF (Palam) were raised to support target towing for the Air Defence elements of Navy/ Army respectively. In June 1985, both Unitss were equipped with Canberra B(I)58. Units were relocated to Pune( 1 TTU) and Agra (2 TTU) in November 1987 At this point the roles of supporting Navy/ Army was changed to Banner Towing for Air-to-Air needs for the IAF. Sometime between 1969 and 1987, the Army/Navy support role had been passed on to a flight from 6 Sqn with the specially modified variant of the Canerra - TT418 with the pylon mounted Rushton winch and target. On 15th June 1992, a Unitsed TTU was raised at Agra by merging 1 TTU, 2 TTU and TT flight from 6 Sqn. With the merger, the Units took on the Banner, Sleeve and Rustom Target Towing for all three services. Banner Towing ceased on 31st Ma.... Read More
Date Raised : 1969-05-01 Disbanded : 1992-06-14 Location : Agra
In May 1969, 1 TTF ( Cochin) and 2 TTF (Palam) were raised to support target towing for the Air Defence elements of Navy/ Army respectively. In June 1985, both Unitss were equipped with Canberra B(I)58. Unitss were relocated to Pune( 1 TTU) and Agra (2 TTU) in November 1987 At this point the roles of supporting Navy/ Army was changed to Banner Towing for Air-to-Air needs for the IAF. Sometime between 1969 and 1987, the Army/Navy support role had been passed on to a flight from 6 Sqn with the specially modified variant of the Canerra - TT418 with the pylon mounted Rushton winch and target. On 15th June 1992, a Unitsed TTU was raised at Agra by merging 1 TTU, 2 TTU and TT flight from 6 Sqn. With the merger, the Units took on the Banner, Sleeve and Rustom Target Towing for all three services. Banner Towing ceased on 31st M.... Read More
Location : Kalaikunda
TTF (No 1 and No 2) was formed in Jan 1947 on Vengeance was disbanded but got disbanded in July 1947. TTF was formed again at ATW in Jamnagar in 1951 on the Tempest. TTF gave up Tempest in Sep 55 and took up Toofanis which it flew for more than 10 years. TTF changed to Mystere in 1968-69. Further changed to Hunter - Roughly around 1972 and also moved to KKD from Jamnagar. TTF was disbanded around 2001-2002 with the Hunter decommissioning..... Read More
106 was number plated only for a fortnight. When the Canberras were phased out in 2007, A Flight of 106 sqn continued with HS748. Some time ago, 106 was resurrected (after the fortnight of number plating) with another type of aircraft at another location. The A Flt of HS 748 was renamed as Survey and Target Towing Units (STTU). It remains at Agra. It was numberplated around 2017.... Read More
Location : Bangalore
Location : Bangalore
Date Raised : 1973-07-01 Location : Bangalore
Date Raised : 1948-04-01 Disbanded : 1956-12-31 Location : Agra
Initially formed as a conversion and training squadron at Agra in 1948, the Units moved over to Begumpet in 1957 and was renamed as Transport Training Wing (TTW). In 1963 after the Sino -Indian conflict, the necessity for expanding training on transport aircraft became imperative. To facilitate this requirement; existing TTW was retained at Begumpet and No.2 TTW was established at Yelahanka, a suburb of Bangalore. Here, an airfield of world war II vintage was already in existence. This deserted airfield was recommissioned after necessary repairs on August I, 1963 and began functioning under the command of Gp Capt PL Dhawan. On January 1, 1968 both the TTW s were merged to form a single TTW at Yelahanka. Later, TTWs was renamed as Air Force Station, Yelahanka. 5 Packets of C&T Flt were transferred to 12 Sqn in Jan 1955..... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-10-01 Disbanded : 1975-04-01 Location : Jamnagar
On 1 October 1966 the IAF established its first Operational Training Unit (OTU) at Jamnagar with 24 Hunter aircraft (four trainers and 20 fighters) drawn from the six Hunter Mk.56 equipped squadrons, as was also the ground equipment and most of its human resources. The OTU was given a dual role: ‘training’ for which it came under HQ WAC at Palam and ‘operations’ for which it came under HQ WI (Western India) in Poona. Operational Conversion Units (OCU), The Young Ones’. The OCU was raised on 1st October 1966 at Jamnager with the Hunter F56A, and was initially known as the Operational Training Units (OTU). Its purpose was to ensure the smooth transition of young pilots from training into the front line squadrons. Its got its name because no matter how old the Units was, it would always have the youngest of figh.... Read More
Date Raised : 1975-04-01 Disbanded : 2013-12-13 Location : Kalaikunda
On 1 October 1966 the IAF established its first Operational Training Unit (OTU) at Jamnagar with 24 Hunter aircraft (four trainers and 20 fighters) drawn from the six Hunter Mk.56 equipped squadrons, as was also the ground equipment and most of its human resources. The OTU was given a dual role: ‘training’ for which it came under HQ WAC at Palam and ‘operations’ for which it came under HQ WI (Western India) in Poona. Operational Conversion Units (OCU), The Young Ones’. The OCU was raised on 1st October 1966 at Jamnager with the Hunter F56A, and was initially known as the Operational Training Units (OTU). Its purpose was to ensure the smooth transition of young pilots from training into the front line squadrons. Its got its name because no matter how old the Units was, it would always have the youngest of figh.... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-06-23 Location : Chabua
The squadron was carved out of MOFTU at Tezpur and retained the Motto and Legacy of MOFTU . They moved to Chabua in September 2006. The wartime role of the sqn was CFSO and peacetime role is to carry out MOFT training of pilots on the MiG-21FL. The Sqn wound down in 2007. The sqn was reformed in the Hawk AJT in 2007 as HOTS A.... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-06-23 Location : Bagdogra
The squadron was carved out of MOFTU at Tezpur and moved to bagdogra on 26 oct 2006. The wartime role of the sqn is CFSO and peacetime role is to carry out MOFT training of pilots on the MiG-21FL. It was adjudged the best fighter squadron in EAC in 2008-09 and 2009-10.... Read More
Location : Bidar
HOTS A was formed in 2007 and received the first Hawk in Feb 2008. 181 PC was the first course to be trained on Hawks. .... Read More
Location : Bidar
Continues the Legacy of MOFTU B.... Read More
Date Raised : 1987-10-20
Basic Flying Training School (BFTS) is a premier flying training establishment of Indian Air Force located at Allahabad. It was established on 16 December 1987 to impart ab–initio training to pilots on HPT-32 aircraft. On July 5, 1999 the school changed its role from training Flight Cadets of Indian Air Force to training officers of the Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard. The school was re-equipped with Chetak helicopters on December 26, 25 for imparting ab-initio flying training to Indian Army officers on helicopters..... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-05-01 Location : Agra
W/C AS Sethi was last CO.... Read More
Location : Begumpet
Disbanded : 1980-03-14 Location : Kanpur
C&R Flight was rasied with the role primary role of Practice Interception training to Fighter Controllers of the C&R School, later renamed as Air Defence College. The flight also got renamed to Air Defence Flight at that time. Initially it was equipt with Vampire 52 and co-located with the school at AFFC, Jodhpur. Sometime in mid 1970s it moved to BKT and in 1975 it was reequipped with the Marut and located at Kanpur. It moved to BKT in 1980. Thereafter in 1983 it was requipped with the the MiG-21 T-77. Tt moved to Bareilly in 1992, changed to T-96 in 1996 and merged with the 102 Sqn in 1998. Flight moved back to BKT on 15 June 1999. It was numberplated on 30 June 2006. The Unit has been resurrected on the Kiran MK-II at Gorakhpur in Sep 2015.... Read More
Date Raised : 1980-03-15 Location : Gorakhpur
C&R Flight was rasied with the role primary role of Practice Interception training to Fighter Controllers of the C&R School, later renamed as Air Defence College. The flight also got renamed to Air Defence Flight at that time. Initially it was equipt with Vampire 52 and co-located with the school at AFFC, Jodhpur. Sometime in mid 1970s it moved to BKT and in 1975 it was reequipped with the Marut and located at Kanpur. It moved to BKT in 1980. Thereafter in 1983 it was requipped with the the MiG-21 T-77. Tt moved to Bareilly in 1992, changed to T-96 in 1996 and merged with the 102 Sqn in 1998. Flight moved back to BKT on 15 June 1999. It was numberplated on 30 June 2006. The Unit has been resurrected on the Kiran MK-II at Gorakhpur in Sep 2015.... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-01-01 Disbanded : 1975-01-01 Location : Jamnagar
School used to trained PAI's who were then posted to operational squadrons to take up role of air to ground training of sqn pilots.... Read More
Location : Maharajpur
Oversees TACDE, TAOTDC and EW Range.... Read More
Date Raised : 1990-10-01 Location : Maharajpur
Training institution providing EW training to aircrew, Fighter Controllers and oeprators of ground based weapon systems.... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-10-01 Disbanded : 1980-03-14 Location : Memuara
It was established in 1958 at Jodhpur as the Control & Reporting (C & R) School. The college trains fighter controllers of the Indian Air Force. It moved to Memaura in 1972. Control & Reporting (C & R) School was upgraded on March 15, 1980, and rechristened as the Air Defence College. At present the college conducts various courses which include Fighter Controllers' Course, Advanced Fighter Controllers' Course, Senior Sector Controllers' Course, Air Defence Indoctrination Course, Joint Air Defence Instructors' Course and Naval Officers’ Orientation Course..... Read More

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.