Wing Commander Rajinder was commissioned in the Electrical Branch of the Air Force in 1951. He has also successfully completed a Course in Flight test instrumentation abroad. During his service career, Wing Commander Rajinder has been closely associated with the design and flight testing aspects of prototype aircraft manufactured in the country.
During his 6 year tenure in Aircraft and Armament Testing Unit, he worked untiringly and raised a team of airmen in flight test instrumentation. On his own initiative, he commissioned a number of complicated and specialized equipment and undertook elaborate instrumentation programme on a number of pre-production models of aircraft. Throughout he displayed an aptitude for original work and devoted service. Then in 1968, when posted at Headquarters Western Air Command, he developed a modification which not only resolved the baffling problem of transport operations in the Command due to the non-availability of vital material, but in so doing enhanced the operational capability of the aircraft also.