|Service No & Branch||3557 AE(L)|
No Image Available
|Date of Birth: 01 Jun 1921||Commissioned: 27 Dec 1948||Course:|
|Service End:||Retired on 31 May 1976|
|Qualifications Held :|
|Remarks :||Flt Gnr later Flt Sig Retd as CSO WAC|
|Google the Bharat Rakshak Website for : "G Verghis"|
|Ati Vishist Seva Medal|
|Gp Capt||George Verghis||3557 AEL||Award Date 26 Jan 1973||Announced 26 Jan 1973|
|Details :|| |
Group Captain George Verghis joined the Indian Air Force in 1941 as a Wireless Operator and was commissioned in the Technical Branch in 1948. As an Air Signaller and subsequently as the Signals Leader in a Transport Squadron, he has done over 3000 hours of flying, most of which were on operational duties in the difficult terrain of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh areas. During his long service, he has held a variety of appointments and has earned a name for himself as an unassuming, tireless and efficient Technical Officer.
In 1968, when it was decided to establish a Medium Repair Facility in the Indian Air Force for Guided Weapons and Ground Radars, Group Captain Verghis was selected for the key post of Project Officer to implement this scheme. Planning and executing this project costing crores of rupees within a tight time schedule, was a formidable and challenging task. Group Captain Verghis tackled the task successfully with characteristic thoroughness and devotion to duty. By his personal example and leadership he built up a team of efficient and dedicated officers and airmen to implement the Project. By adopting modern management techniques, he has been continuously monitoring the progress to ensure that the Project is implemented as scheduled. When the Project is completed, the Air Force would have attained self-sufficiency in the overhaul of Guided Weapons and Ground Radar. The fact that this will be achieved within the stipulated time is due entirely to the meticulous planning and progressive leadership provided by Group Captain George Verghis.
Throughout his career, Group Captain George Verghis has rendered distinguished service of an exceptional order.
|Reference : GoI19730126|