Air Commodore Thirumalai Srinivasan was commissioned in the Technical Signals Branch of the Indian Air Force in 1943 He saw active service during World War II. He attended Signals Officer's Radar Course in the U.K. in 1948, Methods of Instructions Course at No. 2 G.T.S. in 1949 and Junior Commander's Course in 1953. He has held various staff and command appointments creditably. During his tenure as Director of Signals, he contributed most effectively to all the major plans in the Directorate. In addition, he was responsible for installation and check up of a variety of sophisticated and modern ground and airborne electronics equipment in the Air Force. His successful handling of the task of development of sophisticated and complex airborne electronics equipment and completion of the prototype models of equipment which have been airĂ‚Âtested is a real breakthrough in the field of indigenous development and production of sophisticated and specialised airborne electronics equipment in the country.