On the 4th December, 1979, Flying Officer Pramod Kumar Jain was flying an air combat training mission. He had gone about 80 km from base when generator in his aircraft went dead. The subsequent electrical failure deprived him of the use of compass and the radio telephone. The situation was further aggravated when noxious fumes and dense smoke, caused by battery-cum-electrical fire, filled the cockpit. This not only obscured his view but also added to his discomfiture. It was a serious situation for a young trainee pilot. But Flying Officer Jain did not lose his composure and working on procedures laid down for such emergencies, he proceeded towards his base. It was, however, a feat of his professional skill that although deprived of all mechanical aids including the tail parachute and automatic braking system, he made a flapless landing without any further damage to the aircraft.
In this action, Flying Officer Pramod Kumar Jain displayed courage, presence of mind and professional skill of a high order.