1/72 Azur FRROM Dassault Mystere IV A
The IAF operated approx 110 Mystere IVAs from 1957 to 1973. These aircraft followed the Ouragons already in service since 1954. These were one of the first ‘supersonic’ (in a dive) aircraft of the IAF. The Mystere operated mainly in a ground attack role in the Sep 1965 and Dec 71 wars against Pakistan (one shooting down a Pakistani F-104 Starfighter after being hit).
The aircraft sported some very flamboyant markings as customary for the period with 1 sqn the Tigers, 3 sqn, The Cobras, 8 sqn, The Eighth Pursoot and 31 sqn, The Lions. Of these, the Tiger markings were the most striking although they were applied only well after the Sep 65 war. The sqn actually used the “Jungle Book” ‘Sher Khan’ character logo during the war as seen in this pic during the war.
Much has already been said about this ‘limited run’ kit by Azur of France but manufactured in the Czech Republic. From the box art to the decals, from the finely engraved plastic to the resin add ons and PE sheet the kit is simply delightful. Thankfully they’ve got the green in the national markings correct. I’ve not seen many model makers who get the green dark enough or the saffron orange enough!! With finely fitting parts with a sensible breakdown and detailed instructions sheet, the kit provides the best representation of the Mystere IVA so far in 1/72.
On the other hand the lack of external stores is surprising as nothing in the spares box except the odd 1000 lb British GP bombs will help. Further the omission of the starboard wingtip-mounted pitot probe though shown in the three views and box art is strange (easily fixed with a bit of stretched sprue).
Apparently IAF Mysteres had the SNCASO seat rather than the MB Mk 4 supplied. However the decal for the Hispano-Suiza Verdun 350 export engine is accurate. Lastly the colours of the Condor logo of the 8 sqn Eighth Pursoot should be blue and red not orange and green as printed on the decals. Thankfully the manufacturers FRROM have been very upfront in pointing out some errors in the instructions about the use of the two-piece versus the slab tail (both provided) on later variants.
The plastic had some strange fine grittiness on the surface which needed gentle sanding; the rest went together quite well. I used Zvezda super silver enamel, the finest quality smooth silver I've found. I lost the PE VHF antenna to the carpet and used a non scale piece of stretched sprue. The Tiger decal was reasonably accurate as can be seen from the pictures of the real thing. The nose landing gear has the hole for the landing/taxi light facing rearwards so drilled in a new one. Finally the instructions don’t warn of any nose weight required but the model needs quite an substantial amount and I had to stuff bits of fishing line lead into the nose wheel bay.
All in all, an easy, satisfying build that can do some external stores and a few corrections for the next issue. My compliments to the AZUR FRROM team!
Size: 15 items