Date Raised : 1950-03-16 Disbanded : 1951-08-16 Location : Barrackpore
Air Force Station Barrackpore airfield was one of the foremost Allied air bases to fight the Japanese Forces during WW Il. In 1944, the Air Force Base at Barrackpore was formed into a group called 2 Indian Group. This group was disbanded in early 1950 to form the 357 MU. On March 16, 1950 it was renamed as 310 Station under the operational command of the IAF. On August 16, 1951, this Station was renamed as Air Force Station Barrackpore, 6 Wing. Betwee 1951 and 1966, the base was a hub for transport squadrons servcing the North East. In addition it also had a Survey Flighta Flighter squadron and an Auxilliary AF Sqn in this period. With closure of all flying activity, 6 Wing was transformed into a missile wing having in its fold numerous SA-II Squadrons from 1967 onwards.The base also recieved TETTRA units in 1988-89 and upgraded briefly to SA-III Sqns in the same period. The base became a flying base again in 2012 with a Helicopter Squadron permanently based.
An Air Force Liaison Cell was set up in April 1959 to monitor overhaul of Dakota aircraft by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. The role of the Units was revised to include technical and logistics liaison for major servicing and repair of Caribou and subsequently the An-32 aircraft. The Unit also liaises with HAL for the overhaul of the Chetak and Cheetah Helicopter, and the HPT-32. An Airmen Selection Centre initially known as Air Force Recruiting Office has been in existence in this region since 1950.
|Dates||Rank & Name||Number||Remarks||Location||Photo|
|16 Mar 50 to 27 Jul 50||Wing Commander Birendra Kumar Sen Gupta||1590 GD(P)||Stn Cdr||Barrackpore|
|28 Jul 50 to 27 Feb 51||Wing Commander Homi Shapurji Ratnagar||1588 GD(P)||Stn Cdr||Barrackpore|
|28 Feb 51 to 15 Aug 51||Wing Commander Anantha Ananthanarayanan||1607 GD(P)||Stn Cdr||Barrackpore|