15 Forward Base Support Unit
Date Raised : 1986-08-23 Disbanded : 1993-09-14 Location : Carnicobar
The IAF commenced operations at Car Nicobar in 1956 with the establishment of a Staging Post essentially for refuelling of aircraft flying logistics support missions from the mainland across the Bay of Bengal. The IAF extended the runway at Car Nicobar to nearly 9, feet in 1967. The first helicopter of the IAF, a Mi-8, was inducted at Car Nicobar in 1982 and was built up to a Flight strength by April 1, 1985. The IAF inducted an Air Defence unit as well. With the increase in the level of forces deployed, the air base was upgraded to a Forward Base Support Unit (FBSU) on August 23, 1986. The FBSU was subsequently replaced by No 37 Wing that was established on September 15, 1993 and location was shifted from Car Nicobar to Port Blair. It was fully functional in 2000 under the command of HQ SAC. Subsequently it as moved under the command of HQ AFC (Air Force Component) in A&N Command.
|5866 F(P)Stn CdrCarnicobar||8378 F(P)Stn CdrCarnicobar|| ||10983 F(P)Stn CdrCarnicobar||11288 F(P)Stn CdrCarnicobar|