Indian Air Force Logistics Maintenance Unit Database

Location : Gwalior
Date Raised : 1962-02-01 Location : Chandigarh
Overhaul requirement of transport and helicopter fleet of the IAF necessitated setting up of No. 3 Base Repair Depot at Chandigarh on 20 Aug 1962. Group Captain TMJ Kriplani, the Depot’s first Commanding Officer, set up the requisite facilities with Russian collaboration and commenced the first overhaul of the IL-14 transport aircraft and the Mi-4 helicopter. With induction of new helicopters in IAF, the Depot graduated to overhaul of Mi-8 and Mi-17 helicopters. In fact, the Depot has today become the knowledge base for all Russian helicopters, and has undertaken number of tasks like life extension of Mi-25 helicopters, repair of Mi-26 helicopters and upgrade of Mi-35 helicopters..... Read More
Date Raised : 1965-12-01 Location : Kanpur
Conducts repair and overhaul of turbo-jet aero-engines and their aggregates - Repair and overhaul of MIG 23/27 Engine (R 29 Engine) and Mirage 2000 engine. (M53 P2).... Read More
Date Raised : 1956-11-14 Disbanded : 1966-03-31 Location : Sulur
Sulur was a transit base during 1940-42 for the Allied forces. In 1945 it was a operational base for RAF and in 1947 INS Hansa was established by Indian navy for Sea hawks. IAF took possession of Sulur base in Nov 56 and established a Care and Maintenance unit . Within a year i.e. 1957, it was re-designated as Aircraft Storage Depot. The initial commitment of Aircraft Storage Depot was to store Harvards, Texans and Vampires. Subsequently Dakotas, and Canberras also found shelter at this Depot. During this period i.e. in 1964, one large hanger and billets for SNCOs and airmen were added. In Apr 66, this storage depot metamorphasized into the present 5 BRD with additional tasks and commitments. 33 ED was also established at the base in 1967. Apart from the already existing storage functions, the depot undertook the task.... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-04-01 Location : Sulur
Sulur was a transit base during 1940-42 for the Allied forces. In 1945 it was a operational base for RAF and in 1947 INS Hansa was established by Indian navy for Sea hawks. IAF took possession of Sulur base in Nov 56 and established a Care and Maintenance unit . Within a year i.e. 1957, it was re-designated as Aircraft Storage Depot. The initial commitment of Aircraft Storage Depot was to store Harvards, Texans and Vampires. Subsequently Dakotas, and Canberras also found shelter at this Depot. During this period i.e. in 1964, one large hanger and billets for SNCOs and airmen were added. In Apr 66, this storage depot metamorphasized into the present 5 BRD with additional tasks and commitments. 33 ED was also established at the base in 1967. Apart from the already existing storage functions, the depot undertook the task.... Read More
Repair and overhaul of specialist MT Vehicles (limited types).... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-04-01 Location : Pune
Formed on 1 May 1957 as the Base Signals Repair Unit (BSRU). Renamed 9 BRD since 1 Apr 66. Repair of a wide range of Electrical, Electronics rotables of airborne and ground equipment. Also identified maintenance of Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) equipment..... Read More
Location : Najafgarh
Formed on 1 Oct 24, Repair of all Electronic Warfare systems..... Read More
Location : Palam
Repair and overhaul of Radar and Communication equipment..... Read More
Maintenance support for Radar and Communication units..... Read More
Overhaul of DG Set and repair of Communication Equipment..... Read More
Location : Palam
Repair and maintenance of Parachute and survival equipment..... Read More
Location : Palam
Repair and overhaul of BEL based Radar and communication equipments.... Read More
Location : Guwahati
Repair and overhaul of Plan Adges related to DG sets and Air conditioners.... Read More
Location : Delhi
Repair and overhaul of parachute and safety equipments..... Read More
Location : Delhi
Repair and overhaul of Parachute and safety equipments and works directly under ACAS (Sys).... Read More
Date Raised : 1948-01-01 Disbanded : 1964-01-01 Location : Mumbai
411 Air Force Station Mumbai -From No. 305 Maintenance Unit, Royal Air Force in 1945, — holding aircraft spares at Cotton Green — Air Force Station Bombay was reestablished as No. 02 Equipment Depot (ED) in 1948, which in turn was redesignated as No. 22 ED, AirForce Station Bombay in 1964. Subsequently, in1967 an element of No. 22 ED was converted into No. 30 ED AF. The evolution took a step ahead on 07 Sep 1981, when No. 30 ED Air Force Station Bombay was bifurcated into two separate entities, 411 Air Force Station Bombay with Headquarters at Cotton Green and No. 30 ED AF with Headquarters at Santacruw. However, this Equipment Depot became a lodger unit of Airforce Station Mumbai on 10 Apr 1997..... Read More
Location : Avadi
23 Equipment Depot at Avadi (Chennai) dates back to World War II. Christened in December 1944 as 337 Maintenance Unit under the Royal Indian Air Force, it functioned as a Supply Point and a Storage Depot for South-East Asia. It was renamed twice over as No. 3 Equipment Depot in September 1947 and 23 Equipment Depot in March 1966. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1948-08-19 Disbanded : 1966-12-12 Location : Manauri
302 Maintenance Unit was established in 1939 at Allahabad. During 1942, it was converted into a Universal Equipment Depot, the first ever such Depot in South East Asia as per RAF records, to sustain the air operations of Allied Forces during the Second World War. In 1948 the Depot was renamed as 4 Equipment Depot and was rechristened as 24 Equipment Depot in year 1966. Traversing through the days of providing spares support to aircrafts such as Tempest, Spitfire, Gnat, Marut, Canberra and Hunter aircraft, 24 Equipment Depot now stores spares for Jaguar, Avro and Dornier aircraft, Chetak / Chetah and Cheetal Helicopters, ALH and RPA..... Read More
Date Raised : 1964-01-01 Disbanded : 1967-01-01 Location : Mumbai
411 Air Force Station Mumbai -From No. 305 Maintenance Unit, Royal Air Force in 1945, — holding aircraft spares at Cotton Green — Air Force Station Bombay was reestablished as No. 02 Equipment Depot (ED) in 1948, which in turn was redesignated as No. 22 ED, AirForce Station Bombay in 1964. Subsequently, in1967 an element of No. 22 ED was converted into No. 30 ED AF. The evolution took a step ahead on 07 Sep 1981, when No. 30 ED Air Force Station Bombay was bifurcated into two separate entities, 411 Air Force Station Bombay with Headquarters at Cotton Green and No. 30 ED AF with Headquarters at Santacruw. However, this Equipment Depot became a lodger unit of Airforce Station Mumbai on 10 Apr 1997..... Read More
Location : Avadi
23 Equipment Depot at Avadi (Chennai) dates back to World War II. Christened in December 1944 as 337 Maintenance Unit under the Royal Indian Air Force, it functioned as a Supply Point and a Storage Depot for South-East Asia. It was renamed twice over as No. 3 Equipment Depot in September 1947 and 23 Equipment Depot in March 1966. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-12-13 Location : Manauri
302 Maintenance Unit was established in 1939 at Allahabad. During 1942, it was converted into a Universal Equipment Depot, the first ever such Depot in South East Asia as per RAF records, to sustain the air operations of Allied Forces during the Second World War. In 1948 the Depot was renamed as 4 Equipment Depot and was rechristened as 24 Equipment Depot in year 1966. Traversing through the days of providing spares support to aircrafts such as Tempest, Spitfire, Gnat, Marut, Canberra and Hunter aircraft, 24 Equipment Depot now stores spares for Jaguar, Avro and Dornier aircraft, Chetak / Chetah and Cheetal Helicopters, ALH and RPA..... Read More
Location : Devlali
MiG-21, 23, 27 and Sukhoi -30 Russian raw material, MiG-21 Bis Upgrade.... Read More
Location : Bengaluru
Rotables of Jaguar, Cheetah Chetak, AVRO, Canberra. Kiran MK-I&I, I&II Line Spares of Jaguar and engines of All Indian & European a/c except Mirage & Dornier a/c..... Read More
Location : Tughlakabad
MT Vehicles.... Read More
Date Raised : 1953-09-24 Location : Amla
Armament.... Read More
Location : Kanpur
Ranges repaired for overhaul by 1 BRD and 4 BRD.... Read More
Date Raised : 1967-01-01 Location : Mumbai
411 Air Force Station Mumbai -From No. 305 Maintenance Unit, Royal Air Force in 1945, — holding aircraft spares at Cotton Green — Air Force Station Bombay was reestablished as No. 02 Equipment Depot (ED) in 1948, which in turn was redesignated as No. 22 ED, AirForce Station Bombay in 1964. Subsequently, in1967 an element of No. 22 ED was converted into No. 30 ED AF. The evolution took a step ahead on 07 Sep 1981, when No. 30 ED Air Force Station Bombay was bifurcated into two separate entities, 411 Air Force Station Bombay with Headquarters at Cotton Green and No. 30 ED AF with Headquarters at Santacruw. However, this Equipment Depot became a lodger unit of Airforce Station Mumbai on 10 Apr 1997..... Read More
Location : Sulur
Disbanded : 1983-06-30 Location : Devlali
Merged with 25ED on 1 july 83.... Read More
Location : Bidar
Stock holding depot for MiG-25 spares.... Read More
Date Raised : 1996-09-02 Location : Maharajpur
Depot was formed on 5 march 1984 as 26 ED, Dett to support 40 Wing. It was upgraded to mini depot on 2 Sep 1996..... Read More
Date Raised : 1996-09-02 Location : Hakimpet
Iskra Spares. Originally setup as a detachment of 36 ED on 29 Nov 75, this was created into 43 ED on 2 September 96.... Read More
Date Raised : 1996-11-01 Location : Dundigal
44 ED was operateding as a dett of 26 ED since 19 nov 1990. It was renamed as 44 ED in Nov 1996.... Read More
Location : Agra
Il-76 and Il-78 Spares.... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-03-11 Disbanded : 1966-04-30 Location : Digaru
Air Force Station Digaru is situated at a distance of 35 km South-East of Guwahati on NH-37 amidst the plains of the Brahmaputra Valley. In the wake of the Chinese aggression in 1962, a 'Forward supply Depot' (SD), an 'Explosive storage Park' (XSP) and a 'Mechanical Transport Repair & storage Unit' (MIR & U) were established at Digaru during the period 1963-66. It became a full-fledged station in August 1969. This base Played a very vital supporting role in the 1971 operations. Air Force school was established out of the war Booty Fund in May 1982. An explosives Museum was established in 1986. in 1966 FSD was renamed as 51ASP and XSP as 52ASP. 51 and 52 ASP merged in 1977 and 52 ASP ceased to exist.... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-05-01 Location : Digaru
Air Force Station Digaru is situated at a distance of 35 km South-East of Guwahati on NH-37 amidst the plains of the Brahmaputra Valley. In the wake of the Chinese aggression in 1962, a 'Forward supply Depot' (SD), an 'Explosive storage Park' (XSP) and a 'Mechanical Transport Repair & storage Unit' (MIR & U) were established at Digaru during the period 1963-66. It became a full-fledged station in August 1969. This base Played a very vital supporting role in the 1971 operations. Air Force school was established out of the war Booty Fund in May 1982. An explosives Museum was established in 1986. in 1966 FSD was renamed as 51ASP and XSP as 52ASP. 51 and 52 ASP merged in 1977 and 52 ASP ceased to exist.... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-03-11 Disbanded : 1966-04-30 Location : Digaru
Air Force Station Digaru is situated at a distance of 35 km South-East of Guwahati on NH-37 amidst the plains of the Brahmaputra Valley. In the wake of the Chinese aggression in 1962, a 'Forward supply Depot' (SD), an 'Explosive storage Park' (XSP) and a 'Mechanical Transport Repair & storage Unit' (MIR & U) were established at Digaru during the period 1963-66. It became a full-fledged station in August 1969. This base Played a very vital supporting role in the 1971 operations. Air Force school was established out of the war Booty Fund in May 1982. An explosives Museum was established in 1986. in 1966 FSD was renamed as 51ASP and XSP as 52ASP. 51 and 52 ASP merged in 1977 and 52 ASP ceased to exist.... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-05-01 Disbanded : 1977-09-14 Location : Digaru
Air Force Station Digaru is situated at a distance of 35 km South-East of Guwahati on NH-37 amidst the plains of the Brahmaputra Valley. In the wake of the Chinese aggression in 1962, a 'Forward supply Depot' (SD), an 'Explosive storage Park' (XSP) and a 'Mechanical Transport Repair & storage Unit' (MIR & U) were established at Digaru during the period 1963-66. It became a full-fledged station in August 1969. This base Played a very vital supporting role in the 1971 operations. Air Force school was established out of the war Booty Fund in May 1982. An explosives Museum was established in 1986. in 1966 FSD was renamed as 51ASP and XSP as 52ASP. 51 and 52 ASP merged in 1977 and 52 ASP ceased to exist.... Read More
Date Raised : 2007-05-01 Location : Vadodara
The ASP was setup to support SWAC which was thus far relying on ASP/ED's located in other commands.... Read More
Date Raised : 1962-10-12 Disbanded : 1969-07-30 Location : Jorhat
42 R&SU was created in October 1962 as 2 R&SU at Jorhat. It moved to Guwahati in 1969 and was renamed as 42 R&SU.... Read More
Date Raised : 1969-08-01 Location : Guwahati
Date Raised : 1965-12-20 Disbanded : 1966-05-13 Location : Bamrauli (Allahabad)
Date Raised : 1966-05-14 Location : Bamrauli (Allahabad)
Date Raised : 1965-09-17 Location : Pune
Date Raised : 1966-03-08 Location : Hakimpet
Date Raised : 1984-03-08 Location : Jodhpur
Date Raised : 1961-04-01 Disbanded : 1966-02-28 Location : Pune
71 RMU was formed as 1 RMU with the role to provide Radio maintenance Services and was based at Pune. The unit moved from Pune to Lucknow in May 1993 and thereafter to Mabrauli in Nov 1996.... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-03-01 Location : Bamrauli (Allahabad)
71 RMU was formed as 1 RMU with the role to provide Radio maintenance Services and was based at Pune. The unit moved from Pune to Lucknow in May 1993 and thereafter to Mabrauli in Nov 1996.... Read More
Date Raised : 1961-04-01 Disbanded : 1968-03-31 Location : Barrackpore
Date Raised : 1968-04-01 Location : Barrackpore
Location : Palam
Date Raised : 1980-03-01 Location : Jodhpur
Date Raised : 1996-02-01
Date Raised : 1967-05-11 Location : Palam
In order to ensure smooth movement of men and material, 31 Movement Control Unit was originally formed as Air Movement Section at Mirpur in erstwhile West Pakistan in 1939. Subsequently, this unit was renamed as Passenger and Freight (P&F) Forwarding Section and remained under 3 Wing which was later converted to a full-fledged Movement Control Unit on 11 May 1967. 31 MCU is the staging base for undertaking Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief operations. .... Read More
Location : Mumbai
32 MCU was formed in the year 1948 as Air Freight & Passenger (Mov) Unit. Subsequently, the unit was rechristened as 32 MCU, AF. Presently the unit is located at Terminal-1 of Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai. The Unit has obtained (AEO) Tier-II Certificate. 33 MCU was formed on 04 October 1982 at Air Force Station Guwahati to act as a single point ‘passenger and freight handling agency’ for the Eastern region. The Unit acts as gateway for the Northeast and is a major transportation hub for IAF..... Read More
Location : Halwara
Location : Tezpur
Location : Jamnagar

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.