Indian Air Force Ground Training Institution Database

Date Raised : 1958-10-01 Disbanded : 1980-03-14 Location : Memuara
It was established in 1958 at Jodhpur as the Control & Reporting (C & R) School. The college trains fighter controllers of the Indian Air Force. It moved to Memaura in 1972. Control & Reporting (C & R) School was upgraded on March 15, 1980, and rechristened as the Air Defence College. At present the college conducts various courses which include Fighter Controllers' Course, Advanced Fighter Controllers' Course, Senior Sector Controllers' Course, Air Defence Indoctrination Course, Joint Air Defence Instructors' Course and Naval Officers’ Orientation Course..... Read More
Date Raised : 1949-06-06 Disbanded : 1957-12-23 Location : Coimbatore
Location : Sambre (Belgaum)
It was reassigned the task of conducting Joint Basic Phase Training (JBPT). Provides joint Basic Phase Training for all trades of Airmen. It has now been renamed as BTI (Basic training Institute).... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-09-15 Location : Chandinagar
Trains Indian Air Force Gurund units.... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-01-03 Location : Avadi
Setup to provide training in investigation, Vigilance and policing at AFS Mohammedpur. Moved to Hindan in Aug 2004, Belgaum in June 2006, Chandinagar in June 2010 and has been at Avadi since jan 2015.... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-07-28 Location : Rajokri
Guided Weapon Training Institute. located at Makarpura Palace, vadodara, is at present the only institute of its kind in the Indian Air Force. which trains Officers and airmen on Surface to Air guided weapon systems. It was originally formed as No 7 Ground Training School in 1963, to impart specialist training to Officers and Airmen, for operation and maintenance on DIVINA Missile System. In 1976, the unit was christened as No I Guided Weapon Training Institute. The specialist training on DIVINA missile system ceased in 1988. In 1990, the institute began imparting specialist training on operation and maintenance of OSA-AK. Training on operation and maintenance of IGLA system also started two years later in 1992. In 1975, the specialist training on operation and maintenance of Pechora ( SAM Ill) SAGW system s.... Read More
Location : Dundigal
In 1974 conduct of ATC courses was formalized and ATCOTE (Air Traffic Control Officers' Training Establishment) was formed at Air Force Station, Hakimpet. Later, in 1977, this establishment moved to Air Force Academy. Initially ATCOTE was tasked to conduct Basic ATC courses for Admin branch and Flying branch officers. Subsequently it was expanded to conduct Advanced ATC courses, GCA courses and Army ATCOs' courses. .... Read More
J&SS is a training establishment imparting training to pilots, flight engineers and flight gunners of the IAF, and trainees from friendly foreign countries. The training is imparted in survival technique, in case they crash land, force land or eject over jungles and snowbound terrain, during peacetime or hostilities. It was initially established at Sonamarg in 1963 and later moved to Dalhousie in April 1994..... Read More
Location : Jalahalli
Trains Logistics Assistant.... Read More
Location : Begumpet
Location : Sambre (Belgaum)
No 1 GTS, was formed at Jalahalli in July 1947, was shifted to Sambra, Belgaum in 1963. It was renamed as Administrative Training Institute (ATI) in 1980. In 2001 ATI moved to Tambaram but in Dec 2005 ATI was again moved back to Samra. ATI was renamed as Non-Technical Training Institute (NTTI). The role of the Non-Technical Training Institute is to impart modular trade training of non-technical trades. These trades consist of Administrative Assistant, Accounts Assistant and Education Instructors..... Read More
Date Raised : 1986-01-01 Location : Tambaram
Provides training for Meteorological Assistant, Workshop Fitter (Mechanical), Workshop Fitter (Smith), Mechanical System Fitter, Environment Support, Services Assistant (ESSA).... Read More
Location : Sambre (Belgaum)
No 1 GTS, was formed at Jalahalli in July 1947, was shifted to Sambra, Belgaum in 1963. It was renamed as Administrative Training Institute (ATI) in 1980. In 2001 ATI moved to Tambaram but in Dec 2005 ATI was again moved back to Samra. ATI was renamed as Non-Technical Training Institute (NTTI). The role of the Non-Technical Training Institute is to impart modular trade training of non-technical trades. These trades consist of Administrative Assistant, Accounts Assistant and Education Instructors..... Read More
Date Raised : 1946-07-11 Disbanded : 1948-08-21 Location : Coimbatore
Date Raised : 1958-05-28 Disbanded : 1959-07-13 Location : Secunderabad
Date Raised : 1967-11-25 Disbanded : 1976-11-11 Location : Secunderabad
Date Raised : 1959-07-14 Disbanded : 1967-11-24 Location : Secunderabad
Date Raised : 1939-09-01 Disbanded : 1950-01-25 Location : Madras
1 Technical Training Unit was formed in 1939 at Ambala to maintain records for Airmen. In 1941 this moved to Walton and in 1942 was merged with the Records officer at Bombay. It was renamed IAF Records office in 1945 and moved to Madras thereafter in 1946 and to Delhi post Independence. in June 1958 it was merged with the Directorate of Personnel Airmen, but was demerged in 1966 and moved to its present location in Subroto park.... Read More
Date Raised : 1950-01-26 Disbanded : 1956-02-28 Location : Delhi
Date Raised : 1956-03-01 Location : Delhi
1 Technical Training Unit was formed in 1939 at Ambala to maintain records for Airmen. In 1941 this moved to Walton and in 1942 was merged with the Records officer at Bombay. It was renamed IAF Records office in 1945 and moved to Madras thereafter in 1946 and to Delhi post Independence. in June 1958 it was merged with the Directorate of Personnel Airmen, but was demerged in 1966 and moved to its present location in Subroto park.... Read More
Location : AirHQ
Central Airmen Selection Board was formed at Air Force Station New Delhi (AFND) in May 1980 under the direct control of Air HQs. In 1996, it moved from AFND to Brar Square, Naraina. Central Airmen Selection Board is commanded by an Air Commodore who is designated as President CASB. Focal point for recruitment of NC(E) .... Read More
Date Raised : 1968-11-01 Location : Delhi
Central Servicing Development Organisation is a premiere institution in the maintenance hierarchy of Indian Air Force (IAF). As the IAF inventory of aircraft began to expand in the early-sixties, both with the regard to aircraft types and the countries of origin, a need was felt to address the problem of aircraft maintenance management. A team was constituted to study the functioning of CSDE (Central Servicing Development Establishment). Consequently CSDO was formed at Kanpur on 01 Nov 1968 with two detachments, one each at Delhi and Bangalore. In Jun 1990, the organisation shifted to Subroto Park, New Delhi and the detachment with Delhi was merged with it..... Read More
Date Raised : 1976-05-06 Location : Chandigarh
GEB was originally setup next to AEB in Hindan and got shifted to Chandigarh in 1979. The role of GEB is to conduct Airmen promotion examinations.... Read More
Date Raised : 1947-07-01 Location : Sambre (Belgaum)
No 1 GTS, was formed at Jalahalli in July 1947, was shifted to Sambra, Belgaum in 1963. It was renamed as Administrative Training Institute (ATI) in 1980. In 2001 ATI moved to Tambaram but in Dec 2005 ATI was again moved back to Samra. ATI was renamed as Non-Technical Training Institute (NTTI). The role of the Non-Technical Training Institute is to impart modular trade training of non-technical trades. These trades consist of Administrative Assistant, Accounts Assistant and Education Instructors..... Read More
Date Raised : 1949-10-31 Disbanded : 1980-08-14 Location : Jalahalli
Setup in 1949 at Jalahalli and responsible for the "all through" service, educational and technical training of Airmen in all signals and allied branches such as Radar, Armament, Electrical and Instruments. Wg Cdr KA Joseph was the first CO.... Read More
Disbanded : 1967-01-21 Location : Kanpur
Date Raised : 1962-09-05 Disbanded : 1980-08-14 Location : Jalahalli
This institute carne into being at Jalahalli, on 05 Sep 1962 as No 5 Ground Training School with the role to impart elementary as well as advanced training to Electrical and Instrument tradesman of the IAF. On 1 5 Aug 1980 it was renamed as Electrical and Instrument Training Institute (E&ITI). " "Presently, the institute trains airmen of the following trades- Electric Fitter, Instrument Fitter. Plant Maintenance Fitter (Electrical), Photo Technician, Missile fitter (Electrical). In addition the institute also conducts Advanced Stage Trade Training Of Missile fitter (Electrical, Electronics and Mechanical) , in-service conversion training from Photo Tech to Photo fitter. besides Photo Equipment Course for AE (L) Officers. .... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-12-19 Disbanded : 1964-10-08 Location : Vadodara
AFS Baroda came into existence at Makarpura Summer palace on 19 Dec 1963 as No.7 Ground Training School with the role to impart training for the SA-2 systems. 36 Wing was formed on 9 oct 84 as a full fledged SAGW wing to exercise functional and admin control on various units existing ar that time including Tettra and SAGW sqn.... Read More
Date Raised : 1976-11-01 Disbanded : 1980-07-14 Location : Barrackpore
2206 Sqn was formed in 1976 at Barrackpore as 8 GTS to impart training on SA-3. In 1980 the unit was restrcutured as 2 GWTI. In March 1988 the squdron moved to 25 Wing, Rajokri. It had the task of training all the combat and maintenance crew. In 2003, the training element of 2 GWTI was merged with 1 GWTI. 2206 Sqn was resurrected as standalone operational squadron on 28 July 2003.... Read More
Date Raised : 1970-03-10 Location : Pune
Formed at Air HQ, moved to Jodhpur in 1972 and to Pune in May 1975.... Read More
Location : Pune
Location : Vadodara
Guided Weapon Training Institute. located at Makarpura Palace, vadodara, is at present the only institute of its kind in the Indian Air Force. which trains Officers and airmen on Surface to Air guided weapon systems. It was originally formed as No 7 Ground Training School in 1963, to impart specialist training to Officers and Airmen, for operation and maintenance on DIVINA Missile System. In 1976, the unit was christened as No I Guided Weapon Training Institute. The specialist training on DIVINA missile system ceased in 1988. In 1990, the institute began imparting specialist training on operation and maintenance of OSA-AK. Training on operation and maintenance of IGLA system also started two years later in 1992. In 1975, the specialist training on operation and maintenance of Pechora ( SAM Ill) SAGW system s.... Read More
Date Raised : 1980-07-15 Disbanded : 2003-07-27 Location : Rajokri
2206 Sqn was formed in 1976 at Barrackpore as 8 GTS to impart training on SA-3. In 1980 the unit was restrcutured as 2 GWTI. In March 1988 the squdron moved to 25 Wing, Rajokri. It had the task of training all the combat and maintenance crew. In 2003, the training element of 2 GWTI was merged with 1 GWTI. 2206 Sqn was resurrected as standalone operational squadron on 28 July 2003.... Read More
Location : Gwalior
No 10 TETTRA School was established as MCF M-2000 in 1985. it was renamed 1 TTCU in March 1990 and M-2000 Tettra school on 20 May 1997 and finally 10 TETTRA School in March 2006.... Read More
Location : Gwalior
No 10 TETTRA School was established as MCF M-2000 in 1985. it was renamed 1 TTCU in March 1990 and M-2000 Tettra school on 20 May 1997 and finally 10 TETTRA School in March 2006.... Read More
Location : Yelahanka
Type Training on Dorniers - Established at Palam as 8 TTCU on 12 August 1991..... Read More
Location : Begumpet

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.