Indian Air Force Flying Training Institution Database

Date Raised : 1975-04-01 Disbanded : 2013-12-13 Location : Kalaikunda
Operational Conversion Unit (OCU), The Young Ones’. The OCU was raised on 1st October 1966 at Jamnager with the Hunter F56A, and was initially known as the Operational Training Unit (OTU). Its purpose was to ensure the smooth transition of young pilots from training into the front line squadrons. Its got its name because no matter how old the unit was, it would always have the youngest of fighter pilots in its ranks. During the 1971 Indo-Pak War it operated a four aircraft detachment from Jaisalmer and was temporarily known as 122 Squadron. On the 5th December 1971 a regiment of Pakistan Army T59 Tanks crossed the border near Tanot, with the aim of capturing Jaisalmer by sun down. Following a request to help from the Indian Army, the detachment destroyed or damaged 29 tanks in 48 hours. This action stopping the enemy .... Read More
Date Raised : 1966-10-01 Disbanded : 1975-04-01 Location : Jamnagar
Operational Conversion Unit (OCU), The Young Ones’. The OCU was raised on 1st October 1966 at Jamnager with the Hunter F56A, and was initially known as the Operational Training Unit (OTU). Its purpose was to ensure the smooth transition of young pilots from training into the front line squadrons. Its got its name because no matter how old the unit was, it would always have the youngest of fighter pilots in its ranks. During the 1971 Indo-Pak War it operated a four aircraft detachment from Jaisalmer and was temporarily known as 122 Squadron. On the 5th December 1971 a regiment of Pakistan Army T59 Tanks crossed the border near Tanot, with the aim of capturing Jaisalmer by sun down. Following a request to help from the Indian Army, the detachment destroyed or damaged 29 tanks in 48 hours. This action stopping the enemy .... Read More
Disbanded : 1967-12-31 Location : Begumpet
Initially formed as a conversion and training squadron at Agra in 1948, the unit moved over to Begumpet in 1957 and was renamed as Transport Training Wing (TTW). In 1963 after the Sino -Indian conflict, the necessity for expanding training on transport aircraft became imperative. To facilitate this requirement; existing TTW was retained at Begumpet and No.2 TTW was established at Yelahanka, a suburb of Bangalore. Here, an airfield of world war II vintage was already in existence. This deserted airfield was recommissioned after necessary repairs on August I, 1963 and began functioning under the command of Gp Capt PL Dhawan. On January 1, 1968 both the TTW s were merged to form a single TTW at Yelahanka. Later, TTWs was renamed as Air Force Station, Yelahanka..... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-08-01 Disbanded : 1967-12-31 Location : Yelahanka
Initially formed as a conversion and training squadron at Agra in 1948, the unit moved over to Begumpet in 1957 and was renamed as Transport Training Wing (TTW). In 1963 after the Sino -Indian conflict, the necessity for expanding training on transport aircraft became imperative. To facilitate this requirement; existing TTW was retained at Begumpet and No.2 TTW was established at Yelahanka, a suburb of Bangalore. Here, an airfield of world war II vintage was already in existence. This deserted airfield was recommissioned after necessary repairs on August I, 1963 and began functioning under the command of Gp Capt PL Dhawan. On January 1, 1968 both the TTW s were merged to form a single TTW at Yelahanka. Later, TTWs was renamed as Air Force Station, Yelahanka..... Read More
Location : Agra
Initially formed as a conversion and training squadron at Agra in 1948, the unit moved over to Begumpet in 1957 and was renamed as Transport Training Wing (TTW). In 1963 after the Sino -Indian conflict, the necessity for expanding training on transport aircraft became imperative. To facilitate this requirement; existing TTW was retained at Begumpet and No.2 TTW was established at Yelahanka, a suburb of Bangalore. Here, an airfield of world war II vintage was already in existence. This deserted airfield was recommissioned after necessary repairs on August I, 1963 and began functioning under the command of Gp Capt PL Dhawan. On January 1, 1968 both the TTW s were merged to form a single TTW at Yelahanka. Later, TTWs was renamed as Air Force Station, Yelahanka..... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-07-25 Disbanded : 1963-06-23 Location : Hakimpet
Hakimpet was first revived as a training airfield in the Autumn of 1951 with the establishment of the Conversion Training Unit (CTU). The CTU operated Spitfire T Mk IX s , Spitfire XVIIIs and Tempest IIs to impart fighter conversion training to newly commissioned pilots of the IAF (Starting with the 55th Pilots Course (PC)). CTU was re-designated as Jet Training Wing (JTW) in 1958 with the phasing out of all Piston engine fighters in the IAF. A second JTW was set up in Bidar after the Indo-China border conflict and both JTWs at Hakimpet and Bidar were redesignated as No.1 JTW and No.2 JTW respectively. But by 1968, Jet training was again bought under the sole purview of Hakimpet and both JTWs were merged together to form the 'Fighter Training Wing' (FTW). In July 1975 12 Kiran aircraft arrived at the station and these w.... Read More
Date Raised : 1963-06-24 Disbanded : 1968-01-14 Location : Hakimpet
Hakimpet was first revived as a training airfield in the Autumn of 1951 with the establishment of the Conversion Training Unit (CTU). The CTU operated Spitfire T Mk IX s , Spitfire XVIIIs and Tempest IIs to impart fighter conversion training to newly commissioned pilots of the IAF (Starting with the 55th Pilots Course (PC)). CTU was re-designated as Jet Training Wing (JTW) in 1958 with the phasing out of all Piston engine fighters in the IAF. A second JTW was set up in Bidar after the Indo-China border conflict and both JTWs at Hakimpet and Bidar were redesignated as No.1 JTW and No.2 JTW respectively. But by 1968, Jet training was again bought under the sole purview of Hakimpet and both JTWs were merged together to form the 'Fighter Training Wing' (FTW). In July 1975 12 Kiran aircraft arrived at the station and these w.... Read More
Location : Bidar
Date Raised : 2003-06-23 Location : Chabua
The squadron was carved out of MOFTU at Tezpur and retained the Motto and Legacy of MOFTU . They moved to Chabua in September 2006. The wartime role of the sqn was CFSO and peacetime role is to carry out MOFT training of pilots on the MiG-21FL. The Sqn wound down in 2007. The sqn was reformed in the Hawk AJT in 2007 as HOTS A.... Read More
Date Raised : 2003-06-23 Location : Bagdogra
The squadron was carved out of MOFTU at Tezpur and moved to bagdogra on 26 oct 2006. The wartime role of the sqn is CFSO and peacetime role is to carry out MOFT training of pilots on the MiG-21FL. It was adjudged the best fighter squadron in EAC in 2008-09 and 2009-10.... Read More
Location : Bidar
HOTS A was formed in 2007 and received the first Hawk in Feb 2008. 181 PC was the first course to be trained on Hawks. .... Read More
Location : Bidar
Continues the Legacy of MOFTU B.... Read More
Date Raised : 1987-10-20
Basic Flying Training School (BFTS) is a premier flying training establishment of Indian Air Force located at Allahabad. It was established on 16 December 1987 to impart ab–initio training to pilots on HPT-32 aircraft. On July 5, 1999 the school changed its role from training Flight Cadets of Indian Air Force to training officers of the Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard. The school was re-equipped with Chetak helicopters on December 26, 25 for imparting ab-initio flying training to Indian Army officers on helicopters..... Read More
Location : Hyderabad
Date Raised : 1947-09-01 Disbanded : 1949-08-11 Location : Jodhpur
Date Raised : 1966-11-07 Disbanded : 1983-09-29 Location : Bidar
Bidar airfield was built by the Nizam of Hyderabad during the unsettled conditions of 1943 -1947. It remained in disuse till activated by the Air Force with the location of No 2 Jet Training Wing in 1963. This was disbanded in 1965 and the airfield remained inactive till 1966. The Elementary Flying School, i.e. EFS was located at Bidar thereafter. This FTE was formed at Allahabad in 1963 to cater for the increased induction of pilots under the expansion programme of Air Force. While at Allahabad this FTE was known as Pilots Training establishment and was providing ab-initio training on HT-2 aircraft. In 1966, the establishment, after relocation at Bidar was renamed Elementary Flying School (EFS). However, the training pattern remained unchanged. In 1983, the role of EFS changed with the introduction of "All Through Jet .... Read More
Location : Jodhpur
Date Raised : 1962-09-17 Disbanded : 1966-11-06 Location : Bamrauli (Allahabad)
Bidar airfield was built by the Nizam of Hyderabad during the unsettled conditions of 1943 -1947. It remained in disuse till activated by the Air Force with the location of No 2 Jet Training Wing in 1963. This was disbanded in 1965 and the airfield remained inactive till 1966. The Elementary Flying School, i.e. EFS was located at Bidar thereafter. This FTE was formed at Allahabad in 1963 to cater for the increased induction of pilots under the expansion programme of Air Force. While at Allahabad this FTE was known as Pilots Training establishment and was providing ab-initio training on HT-2 aircraft. In 1966, the establishment, after relocation at Bidar was renamed Elementary Flying School (EFS). However, the training pattern remained unchanged. In 1983, the role of EFS changed with the introduction of "All Through Jet .... Read More
Date Raised : 1973-07-01 Location : Bangalore
Location : Yelahanka
Date Raised : 1958-01-01 Disbanded : 1975-01-01 Location : Jamnagar
School used to trained PAI's who were then posted to operational squadrons to take up role of air to ground training of sqn pilots.... Read More
Date Raised : 1951-04-01 Disbanded : 1978-04-21 Location : Jamnagar
After Independence, the IAF setup the Armament Training Wing for Air to Ground and Air to Air Armament training. It had an air to ground range at Sarmat and and air to air range in gulf of Kutch near the coastal strip of Jodhya - Balachandi. The ATW had a staff of PAIs (Pilot Attack instructors) who conducted the training. It has no aircrafts of its own except a few Dakotas. The ATW staff was considered the cream the fighter pilots. In 1957-58 a PAI School (Pilot Attack Instructors) was formed to train instructors. A new Air to Air range was bought into Gulf of Arabia. In 1964, a new operational Conversion unit (OCU) was formed with Hunter aircraft. the PAI school was closed in 1975. OCU moved out and TACDE moved in. On 22 April 1978, ATW was converted into a operational wing by the name of 33 Wing..... Read More
Date Raised : 1958-05-01 Location : Agra
W/C AS Sethi was last CO.... Read More
Location : Maharajpur
Oversees TACDE, TAOTDC and EW Range.... Read More
Date Raised : 1990-10-01 Location : Maharajpur
Training institution providing EW training to aircrew, Fighter Controllers and oeprators of ground based weapon systems.... Read More
Date Raised : 1951-08-03 Disbanded : 1958-07-24 Location : Hakimpet
One of the oldest stations of IAF is pride of country which trains the cadets and officers of IAF & Indian Navy into fighter flying and Indian Navy & Coast Guard into the art of rotary winged flying. Keeping pace with the dynamic continuum of aviation technology, the conversion training unit of 1952 developed into the Jet training wing in 1958, the Fighter Training Wing in 1968 and finally into the present day AFS Hakimpet in 1983. The Fighter Training Wing (FTW), previously known as the conversion training unit is the alma mater of all the fighter pilots of the Indian Air Force. In 1951 the unit was formed to groom fighter pilots to fly the spitfire and the tempest trainers. At the end of 1952 the tempests was phased out. The Vampires were inducted in 1954. Air Commodore P C Lal the then Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief.... Read More

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.