Date Raised : 1951-09-02 Disbanded : 1954-07-31 Location : Ambala
Camp Umbala was formed in 1919 and had the No. 99 RAF Sqn placed there. over the next two decades or so, various RAF squadrons were placed off and on at the base including No. 114 RAF Sqn, 28 Sqn and 60 Sqn. Between 1920 and 1922, RAF HQ was also at Ambala, after which it moved to Simla/ Delhi. On 1st Apr 1938, the Station HQ at Ambala was formed and it was formally renamed RAF Station, Ambala on 15 Feb 1941. During the most of 1940s Ambala operated as a training base for IAF/ RIAF with the SFTS and Technical Training Center there. At independence, the station was called Air Force Flying School (India) and was training pilots. On transfer of training to other bases, Ambala was made an operational base of the IAF on 2 Sep 1951 and renamed 307 Wing. On 31 july 1954, this was renamed to 7 Wing.