252 Signal Unit


Location : Tanjavur
The history of Air Force Station Madh Island goes back to Pre-World War—II era. A beautiful fort built by Portuguese and later acceded to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is a part of the Air Force Station. The fort was used as a detachment of NO2 Ordnance Depot, Karachi and an Italian POW camp during World War—II. In 1954, 27 SU, AF was commissioned at AF Stn Madh Island which was equipped with composite MARCONI T-13/T-14/T-15 Radar, designated as Sector Operation Centre (SOC) of 'Bombay Sector'. In 1966, 27 SU, AF was disbanded and 252 SU, AF came into existence as ADDC of Bombay sector. The existing MARCONI Radar was replaced with Russian P-30 (M) radar. Subsequently on 14 Apr 87, P-40 Radar was also inducted in 252SU, AF. On 24 Sep 91, the old P- 30(M) Radar was handed over to 250 SU, and 252 SU, AF continued as ADDC with the P-40(M) Radar. On 1 Aug 1992, 252 SU handed over the responsibility of Mumbai sector to 272 SU and moved out to 2 Wing

Commanding Officers

View in Grid

DatesRank & NameNumberRemarksLocationPhoto
01 Jan 93 to 01 Dec 94Wing Commander Soumitra Shankar Bose12769 F(P)CO

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.