1 Aircraft Staging Post


Disbanded : 1986-08-22 Location : Carnicobar
The IAF commenced operations at Car Nicobar in 1956 with the establishment of a Staging Post essentially for refuelling of aircraft flying logistics support missions from the mainland across the Bay of Bengal. The IAF extended the runway at Car Nicobar to nearly 9, feet in 1967. The first helicopter of the IAF, a Mi-8, was inducted at Car Nicobar in 1982 and was built up to a Flight strength by April 1, 1985. The IAF inducted an Air Defence unit as well. With the increase in the level of forces deployed, the air base was upgraded to a Forward Base Support Unit (FBSU) on August 23, 1986. The FBSU was subsequently replaced by No 37 Wing that was established on September 15, 1993

Commanding Officers

View in Grid

DatesRank & NameNumberRemarksLocationPhoto
01 Jul 85 to 22 Aug 86Group Captain Dalip Singh Dahiya5866 F(P)Stn CdrCarnicobar
Unit continued existence as 15 FBSU

Note: All the data available here is publicly available in the Gazette of India, published by the Indian Government, or from public domain sources, press releases about Awards and Right-To-Information (RTI) Requests. Additionally data shared by veterans is added to the page with permission. No data with respect to serving officers below the rank of AVM is displayed. Information in Gazette of India and Award citations and photographs as released by the Indian Air Force are the only details displayed.