No 1. Jet Training Wing
Date Raised : 1963-06-24 Disbanded : 1968-01-14 Location : Hakimpet
Hakimpet was first revived as a training airfield in the Autumn of 1951 with the establishment of the Conversion Training Unit (CTU). The CTU operated Spitfire T Mk IX s , Spitfire XVIIIs and Tempest IIs to impart fighter conversion training to newly commissioned pilots of the IAF (Starting with the 55th Pilots Course (PC)). CTU was re-designated as Jet Training Wing (JTW) in 1958 with the phasing out of all Piston engine fighters in the IAF. A second JTW was set up in Bidar after the Indo-China border conflict and both JTWs at Hakimpet and Bidar were redesignated as No.1 JTW and No.2 JTW respectively. But by 1968, Jet training was again bought under the sole purview of Hakimpet and both JTWs were merged together to form the 'Fighter Training Wing' (FTW). In July 1975 12 Kiran aircraft arrived at the station and these were supplemented by Polish Iskra in October that year. In September 1976, a detachment of 36ED and Iskra MCF commenced at the station. In 1983, FTW Hakimpet was redesignated as a full fledged station and renamed Air Force Station Hakimpet (AFS Hakimpet) to be commanded by an Air Commodore. The Detachment of 26 ED which had replaced 36ED in October 1990 was upgraded to a full-fledged unit and was renamed as 43 ED in November 1996. " "
|Dates||Rank & Name||Number||Remarks||Location||Photo|
|24 Jun 63 to 06 Oct 64||Group Captain Devaiah Subia||1866 F(P)||CO||Hakimpet|
|07 Oct 64 to 30 Jun 66||Group Captain Tekchand Gopaldas Kelly||1753 GD(P)||CO||Hakimpet|
|01 Jul 66 to 21 Nov 67||Group Captain Arjan Singh Mangharam Bhawnani||1868 F(P)||CO||Hakimpet|
|22 Nov 67 to 14 Jan 68||Group Captain Reginald John Manual Upot||3599 F(P)||CO||Hakimpet|