|Date of Birth:||17 Nov 1926|
|Date Commissioned||15 Jul 1950||Course|
|Service End||Retired on 30 Nov 1981|
|Google the Bharat Rakshak Website for : "J S Lamba"|
|Vayu Sena Medal|
|Wg Cdr||Jagjit Singh Lamba||3927 AEL||Award Date||Announced 26 Jan 1973|
|Details :|| |
Wing Commander Jagjit Singh Lamba was commissioned in the Aeronautical Engineering (Electronics) Branch of the Indian Air Force in January, 1950. During his career he has held a number of important appointments, and qualified himself to hold Category 'A' on a variety of transport aircraft. As the Deputy Director (Aviation Electronics) in the Directorate of Technical Development and Production (Air), he undertook a study to replace imported general purpose electronic test equipment used in the Air Force utilising indigenous items. The Air Force was using over 600 assorted items of imported electronic test equipment, stocked under different reference numbers, in respect of various aircraft and major electronic installations. As a result of his systematic efforts it was possible to rationalise over 240 assorted types of test equipment and replace them with only 17 indigenous products. This had resulted not only in a large saving of Foreign Exchange, but also in improving the serviceability and reliability of the test equipment. He also und ertook a study of locating the indigenous/international equivalents for electronic components used in our vital Air Defence System and has thus achieved significant results. During the operations in 1971, stocks of an electronic component in. the air defence system were running low and the consumption rate was high. He undertook the task of producing a solidÃ‚Âstate substitute with the help of a local firm, which was found to be not only an acceptable substitute for the imported item, but had also improved the overall performance of the Air Defence System.
Throughout, Wing Commander Jagjit Singh Lamba displayed courage, professional skill and devotion to duty.
|Unit : DTDP(Air)|
|Reference : Gazette of India dated 23rd March 1974 - No.34 - Pres/74 dated 26th January 1973|